NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just launched my boat today and have it backed into a slip at Morris Marina ready to head out, so I am serving notice on local flounder. If I don't catch them I will report to you who does--- tomorrow.:D

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HERE IS THE ANTICIPATED FLOUNDER REPORT--- I just got through eating many flounder filets along with french fries, sliced cucumbers, cold slaw and hush puppies. NO, I did not catch a single one.:confused: When it comes to drifting for flounder, my good wife of going on 52 years has always had the magic touch. I just sit down, drive the boat, man the landing net and keep my big mouth shut. We had only made two passes drifting by a long shoal behind the inlet and she had caught 4 keepers when a few bolts of lightning sent us heading back to the marina (I reckon it's Gods way of protecting the flounder).:) She caught them on pin fish strips. Oh, I did catch the pin fish.:D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
NOW THAT'S TEAMWORK! EVERYBODY DOING THEIR JOB!
Good thing you didn't take me. I'd have found a nest of oyster toads out there on that sandbar. Those and more pinfish! lol Flounder sure does eat better! Four flounder are enough so that you don't get tired of them and you have a good excuse to go back and do it again soon.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You know....I have fished for "flatties" in Virginia and here. THIS IS MY HOME! I love NC and especially the coast. However, flounder fishing here is in a word..."FRUSTRATING!". I think I know how to fish for flounder. I have limited out many times on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. However, Most of the "hot spots" here are like trying to fish on the shoulder of I-95! When the weekend warriers hit, well..........:mad: !

So, maybe you have found a spot where you can really fish for flounder. I simply guess I need to get out more!:eek: I really am happy to that SOMEONE is catching fish...especially flounder.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Capt. Bob,
I think I know how you feel. I've always done best around the inlets and I feel that I'm missing something when I try to fish places like dock pilings and channel edges and intertidal areas. It seems like I catch a lot of non-targeted fish for every flounder. In the inlets it's mostly flounder but I feel like even then I should be catching more quality fish. Maybe the flounder need help but I think WE need help. Anybody got some good advice?:)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Capt Bob---I can also identify with what you are talking about. We did not fish yesterday as severe weather warnings were out-- but never developed here. Fished today--- only caught 1 keeper and probably 12 too small. When size limit was 13 in. we would catch 12 1/2 in. now that it is 14 in. we catch 13 1/2 in. fish. Wind and tide was not right, but just being able to look at undeveloped beaches--- I can handle it.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is the best bait for flounder? Would love to learn more about them. Basically fishing bottom for spot or anything that will bite. Got a 17 ft. Carolina Skiff 50hp. Love caughting blues love the fight but would love to learn more about other types of salt water fish. Thanks for any help. Hope you all caught all you want.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sonny--- Since you have the boat, I feel your most productive flounder fishing will be drifting around the inlets if you can find room on weekends.Use a standard flounder rig. Bait-cut into strips, squid,pinfish, flounder belly.( when using flounder, keep carcus and be sure he's legal size limit, they are checking). You'll alway do better when you have tide and wind moving in the same direction. It's getting late I've got to get crew together and go get'em!:)

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We had Drum Inlet all to ourselves this morning, caught 4 flounder before we noticed a water spout forming just offshore. I guess that was why we were all alone. They tend to make a boat run very fast. Last time I tried to out run one of those offshore ,it got close enough to rain fish on me. :eek:
Later, Forrest

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took this pic from yard after hasty retreat from inlet. Water spout still having at it right off banks. Not sure since I fish in these conditions whether I am fisherman or half idiot. Anyway, I got those pesky seagulls fed. :)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Great picture. I gave up on cameras nearly 20 yrs ago after destroying what was probably a perfectly good polaroid sx-70. I had caught a HUGE trout at about 2AM. After 2 hrs of looking for an open place to weigh it, I gave up and took it home to get a picture of it. Woke up my roommate at 4 am to take the picture and the film wouldn't develop. Nobody had ever told me the film had batteries in it. At least not until I had stomped that camera into smithereens. lol To this day I wish that I had waited to get it weighed before cleaning it. It was only 30 3/4" long but it had a huge gut.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just recently designed myself a new speckled trout fly. I was behind the inlet anchored at slack tide in a 9 ft. slough, fishing with a light weight spinner, trying out the new design rigged as a speck rig with a tease bait (nail size piece of flounder belly). I had to switch to a carolina rig, as two flounder at a time are hard to land. Something about this one is driving flounder crazy and they are swallowing it down to their gullet.The name of this design is: fojo's long snouted jeweled eyed speckled trout fishing lure (SNOOTY) for short. Don't know how I made such an error, flounder won't leave it alone long enough to see if trout like it. Oh well, I guess I may have to re design. :confused:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
FoJO, way to go! you are obviously on the right track cause flounder reds and trout all eat the same things. As I looked at them I was thinking the one on the left looked more like a redfish fly and the one on the right a mullet imatation. Yep, two top flounder bait imatations mummichogs and mullet. I think if the trout or reds would have been there you would have got them also. Good job. I want to ride along on your trip to take the gulls to the Keys.:D AL

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OH ME!! The good wife is down this weekend, says she's retraining me on the art of drifting for flounder. It has been flounder in the morning, flounder in the evening and flounder at supper time. I am getting sick of cleaning flounder and if she doesn't slow down by tomorrow, I will be forced to slap her over the head-- with a big flounder.:D

Regards, Forrest

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.