NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RALEIGH, N.C. (Nov. 29) - No need to drive five hours to the mountains just to catch a trout this winter. Beginning in January, anglers of all ages can fly-fish for more than 1,000 trout at one of four clinics to be held at the John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center on Lake Rim Road in Fayetteville.
The clinics, co-sponsored by Fayetteville-Cumberland County Parks and Recreation and the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission, are scheduled for Jan. 14, Jan. 28, Feb. 11 and March 4, starting at 9 a.m. A fifth fly-fishing clinic on March 25 is reserved for Boy Scouts who are interested in earning their fishing merit badge.

During the six-hour clinics, experienced fly-fishing instructors will discuss and demonstrate the proper fly-fishing techniques, including casting, rigging and knot-tying. After learning the basics of fly-fishing, participants will put their newly acquired skills to the test in one of two trout ponds.

The first three clinics, open to first-time participants only, will focus on fly-fishing basics -casting, equipment knowledge, etc. The March 4 clinic will cover advanced techniques, such as multi-hook lines, and is open to anglers who want to improve their fly-fishing skills.

The Commission is stocking the ponds with an approximate 75-25 percent mix of rainbow and brook trout, which were raised at the Commission's Bobby Setzer State Fish Hatchery in Brevard.

In addition to stocking the ponds, the Commission will provide loaner rods, reels and tackle to all registered participants.
Clinics are limited to the first 30 people, and pre-registration is required. Interested anglers should contact Fayetteville-Cumberland County Parks and Recreation at Lake Rim, (910) 424-6134. A nominal fee of $5 for each participant is due at the time of registration.

For more information on fishing in inland, public fishing waters, contact the Commission at (919) 707-0220 or visit the fishing section on the Commission's Web site, www.ncwildlife.org.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
lol i have caught about every kind of trout. from lil brookies to a line pound class record steele head with my fly rod. i started fishing at age 5 never used a casting type reel-spinning,baitcasting,spincasting,ect..-till i was 18. i have caught trout in rivers as big as the niagra to trickles so small they were inches wide. i spent more time than i really want to admit to fly fishin. great sport to learn i recomend it.. latly i have not even wiped the dust off my fly rods in a year or so.:eek:

i think it is a good thing for the state to expose young poeple to the joys of fly fishing.

zooker

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.