NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen numerous threads on NCAngler about winter stripers on Kerr Lake, but all seem to be by bait and spin fishermen. Me and a buddy would like to give it a try next Monday, if there's any chance of success. Thinking of trying 250-350 grain sinking line with clousers or deceivers.

Has anyone had any success fly fishing for Kerr Lake winter stripers? Any suggestions on locations/strategies?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I would think your chances would be better in cleaner water as a fly doesnt put out any kind of vibration like a plug. The upper parts of the lake were pretty muddy last weekend and probably wont be any better with rain today and tomorrow. Butchers creek was pretty clear and there were alot of striper fishermen out there in the "cow pasture" area. Nutbush Creek usually has stays pretty clear from Satterwhite to Henderson point regardless of rainfall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neilslure,

Thanks for your help! I am not very familiar with Kerr Lake. I found Butchers Creek on the map, but what its the "cow pasture"?

Ken

PS: I second your tag line advice...my auto-inflating suspenders PFD may very well have saved my life when I fell into the Roanoke River. It never happens when you are EXPECTING it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chiefly--your suggestion about Henry Cowen was VERY helpful! I googled him and found a really informative podcast interview with Henry at orvis.com. Just what I needed! Me and my buddy were planning to sit in on his presentation at the Winston-Salem ff show in two weeks but I needed the info for this Monday.

Ken
I think you are on the right track with sinking lines etc. You might check out Henry Cowen's website for some fly fishing tips in general for landlocked stripers. He specializes in that.

Seems like he is doing a presentation in Winston at the upcoming fly show on the subject.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Neilslure,

Thanks for your help! I am not very familiar with Kerr Lake. I found Butchers Creek on the map, but what its the "cow pasture"?
Its about 1/2 way between the main lake and Hwy 58 bridge. You will see a big section of bank covered in tall grass or brush on the west side of the creek. If I remember right the area got that name because thats what that area was before the lake was flooded. Most of the boats were scattered out around the creek channel.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=36.6...8.436117&spn=0.050629,0.076818&num=1&t=h&z=14

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, the brake caliper on my truck seized up and overheated! We had to cancel the trip :(. No fishing AND a repair bill; how's that for a kick in the pant?

Yeah, waiting 45-60 seconds on every cast seems a bit much! We may refocus our efforts to the lower Roanoke...never been there either!

Ken

I'm curious on how it went. I suspect it will be tough to get a fly to them right now. They should be between 20 and 30ft of water. That's a lot of counting.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I'm curious on how it went. I suspect it will be tough to get a fly to them right now. They should be between 20 and 30ft of water. That's a lot of counting.
A guy I know that catches them pretty regular on the fly said that exact thing. Fish were at 30ft and not eating flies. They did see birds all day.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Hey there -

I don't fish Kerr, but I do fish SML frequently for Striper. You don't have to wait that long for the line to sink - Take a look at the Rio Outbound Short sinking lines - we use them for Striper and they get down deep VERY quickly. Be careful, though, because you will cast this line differently than any other line I've ever used - Two false casts and then Nelle-bar-the-door, you will shoot as much line as you want. Just don't get in the way of it or you will lose a limb. :)

Great line, and combined with either a game changer or one of these, amazing things happen:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Todd...=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02413229&rid=20

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.