NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been fishing all my life, from clubing Carp in the Los Angeles river, mudbugging with chicken heads, shooting trout with bb guns, and lots of other dumb stuff. :( Been freshwater fly fishing for past 20 years, living out here in the east, not much but crowds and catch/released...that's ok, makes up for all my bad years. :)

Anyway, we're moving to Calabash next month and want to hook up with another fly fisher. Guess I need to learn new skills. Cool. :) :) Grew up surfing out of Hermosa Beach, CA. :D

Anyone out there?

kind regards,
dan johnston

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.
really look forward to getting back into surf fishing. Did lots as a kid, along with surfing, but work and life took over. Now we're getting close to putting work behind us, we're very excited about being in NC.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
dan j --- Hardy welcome to North Carolina and the site! I had a place in Ocean Isle many years ago but can't help with current fishing conditions down that way.Your are moving to a great area of NC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
dan haven't fished the calabash area much but i know around bald head island north of you there is some great speckaled trout fishing going down as we speak!! I have been saltwater fishing north of you (near swansboro) on and off for quite a few years so if I can help at all let me know!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dan haven't fished the calabash area much but i know around bald head island north of you there is some great speckaled trout fishing going down as we speak!! I have been saltwater fishing north of you (near swansboro) on and off for quite a few years so if I can help at all let me know!
Never had any southern fish but grouper. are speckled trout good eating? Are you using a boat? what kind?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Speckled trout or Specks as many of us call them are a prized fish in these parts. They are good eating and fun to catch. Specks can be caught from the surf this time of the year, also in the creeks and marsh grass areas of the sound and ICW.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Welcome aboard Dan. Yes they will take flies. Clousers, decievers, shrimp patterns and about any other baitfish patterns. while natural looking colors catch their share of fish they seem to love certain loud color combinations also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
fly fishing for specks is my favorite (and reds too). and sinker man"s right they like alot of pinks and loud stuff. However alot of days are a bit unfovorable for casting to say the least! Fishing for them with light tackle can be just as fun (and honestly it usually produces more fish) try deeper holes near grass banks or shoals on changing tides. hope this helps!!

westslope

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.