NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody ever fly fished new river before for reds or trout. my guess would be to go back into the creeks and to cast into the flats but ive never really done any saltwater flyfishing before. anybody got any pointers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep! You're gonna have to kid-nap'em, and pull their teeth without pain killers before they'll give up there trout and drum holes.:)

I would start around creek mouths in the New River. Just start working those kind of areas and keep exploring. I've been fishing New River for a few years now and I am still learning things. As the summer goes on keep working more and more up the river.

As far as fly fishing pointers, the best thing I can tell you is search the web and find and read fly fishing articles specifically about trout and drum. All those tactics will work on the New River.

Hope this helps,

Rick

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Hit the creek mouths and inside the creeks ....you should see plenty of baitfish...where there is bait there are fish...:)

Work steadly and watch for the reds to be pushing water or see schools of them in shallow water....be prepared to make some lengthy shots with the fly ....:)

Deceviers and streamers in white or bright colors work well.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have fished up New River with a flyrod for bream and had a blast but not fished for the other.. Take some skitter spay or they will take your boat and rod!!!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
10-4 seveal ramps on New River from base on both sides of the river. Just figure where
you want to fish, tow the boat there and splash the boat and fish...

<*)))))>{

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.