NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a new fly rod. Unfortunately, I have not fly fished in a while and I would like to get into it. It will mainly be for bass, bream and trout but, I might use it in saltwater for trout and reds some too. Does anyone have any recommendations for a combo under $200? I'm looking for brand and size.

Thanks,

Reelinheel

·
Registered
488 Posts
Bass Pro and Cabela's both have some nice combo's in that price range. I own a Bass Pro Indian River in 5 weight I got for $140 and use for trout, bass, bream and it has worked well for me. If you head for the salt I would go for a 9 weight rod to handle the large flies and wind. Just remember you can cast a small fly on a larger rod but not a large fly on a small rod (or at least not as easily).

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
My pick would be these combos from Cabela's Cabela's -- Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Professional Series/Cabela's RLS Fly Combo TFO rods have a lifetime warranty, the reels have a smooth , disc drag, and they're loaded with a weight forward Scientific Anglers line. I would choose a 4pc rod in case you decide to travel with your rod at some point. Also, a 5wt for Trout and Panfish and a 8wt for Inshore Saltwater. I have a couple of the TFOs and they are great. I have used the warranty once in a case were I broke the rod (totally my fault) and I send it to TFO with a check to cover shipping and it was replaced within two weeks. I feel that these rods cast as good if not better than some of the more expensive rods that I have and I fish them regularly. Good Luck.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Length wise I prefer a 8' 6" and 9' rods. I have found the work the fine in all but the tightest streams that you will encounter in the NC mountains and are a good length for the salt to. Enough length to mend around the rocks in the pocket water without getting hung up in the rhododendrums and still make a long cast when needed. Just my opinion but you also might want to think about a moderate action or moderate/fast action rod since they are more forgiving when casting and offer more protection from breaking of tippets.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what you all have said and some stuff I read on the internet, it sounds like a 8' 6" or a 9' moderate action will be the most versatile. I'm thinking a 5 or 6 weight will also be versatile but, maybe not as well suited for saltwater. Actually I just remembered my dad has a 9 weight and the reel is all bummed out. So, on the rare occasion that I will need to cast larger flies I can borrow his rod.

Probably the majority of my fishing is going to be done in lakes. Anyone want to help me decide the 5 or 6 weight battle?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Probably the majority of my fishing is going to be done in lakes. Anyone want to help me decide the 5 or 6 weight battle?
I'd say that the 6 weight is generally considered to be the most 'versatile' weight for a fly rod. I'd say that if you think that you are going to be tying on bigger bass flies more often than little trout flies, go with the 6.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Have to agree that the 6 weight would be the best bet if you head after the really big-uns. A five will work fine; just can't throw as big a bug.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is a tough choice, if you get a 6wt now you will find yourself buying an 8wt and a 4wt in the near future. A 9' 6wt is alright for short casts with the bass bugs and casts the small trout flies OK, but due to the overhanging trees on NC streams, they are much easier to fish with a shorter rod (7' - 8'). A shorter rod will make your casts with bass bugs even shorter. Point being, there is no universal rod that will satisfy all types of fishing. As far as getting a combo set up for saltwater, that will be tough, the cheapest saltwater reels are over $100 and the cheapest rods are around the same.

Just be careful, fly fishing is even more frustrating and addicting than spinfishing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dalton,

I have a rod now. Its a Cortland 4/5 weight I got when I was really young. The rod is definitely short, I'd say 7' at the most. The tip is broken on it for probably the second time but, I reckon I can fix it up. On the rare occasion I do fish for trout I could use that set up, especially if I am on a tight stream.

As for the new rod. Do you think a mod-fast action, 8' 6" or 9', 6 weight would be a good choice for the lakes around here and back home and maybe for those hybrids we want to get into?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ohhh, I forgot you had that rod, you could probably replace the tip for pretty cheap...it won't cast too well but for small streams it won't make much of a difference. I just looked at the Cabela's web site and they have a killer deal on a Redington combo. Check it out here: Cabela's -- Redington RS3/Cabela's CSR Fly Combo

I would definitely recomend going for an 8wt for bass fishing, also the hybrids. You may think it sounds a little heavy for fighting bass but the key element is the cast, an 8wt will cast much farther and easier than a 6wt when using heavy flies (poppers, lead-eyed clousers, decievers, etc.). That combo I posted is available in an 8wt, 4 piece, 9' model for $190 (including line and backing); retail price for the rod alone is $200, so basically you are getting a reel and line for free. I think Redington advertises that rod as fast action but I believe it is closer to mod/fast. The site doesn't say anything about the reel being safe for saltwater, so it probably isn't; but in the future that rod would be perfect for speckled trout and drum if you upgraded to a better reel or you could chance it with the Cabela's reel.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Redington Red.Fly2 Fly Rod Outfits

I did not exactly plan on getting a rod today but, I went by GOP to just look around at what they had. I talked to the guy there and we agreed for what I was doing the 6 weight would fit best. Although, I'm sure I will lose some casting distance with the 6 instead of the 8.

They had Redington RedFly2 combos on sale at GOP. I got the 9', 6 weight in the 4 piece. It has line on it and came with a case and I got it for $175. They have this set up at Cabela's for $250. Its a pretty sweet looking rod. i am very pleased with it.

Thanks for helping me get sized up with a set up everyone.

-ReelinHeel

·
Registered
488 Posts
That was a deal. Redington makes some good rods and you should really enjoy it. Welcome to the club, hope you become just as hopelessly addicted as the rest of us.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Congrats !!! You picked a nice outfit. I wouldn't worry too much about casting distance. Distance is more about the mechanics of casting than the rod itself. I watched a couple of guys at the Fly Fishing Clinic casting 70 feet with $40 Shakespeare Combos, which is twice as far as most Fly Fisherman will ever need to cast. Work on good casting techniques and don't worry about distance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.