NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Fly Fishing Show in Winston is only a week away...Feb 6 & 7 at the Benton Center. It looks like another good event featuring some of the top folks in fly fishing...young and old. If you've got questions about fly fishing, there's no better time to get the straight answers from folks who have done it for years under all types of circumstance and conditions. Don't hesitate to introduce yourself to some of the folks and ask questions. And, it's a great opportunity to visit with guides and sales reps from various companies. If you are a fly tyer, there's a wealth of info to be gained.

Marty Shaffner and Jeff Payne from tristateangler.com will be working at my booth, assisting customers and answering questions about trout and smallmouth bass fishing in NW North Carolina. Folks may know of Marty from articles he's written for Wildlife magazine. Both friendly, outgoing guys with lots of experience on local streams and rivers here, and in TN.

The store in Statesville will be packing on Wednesday and closed Thurs, Fri and Sat....Thurs for transport and setup of our booth. Fri and Sat. for the show when it's open to the public. Hope to see a lot of you there.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everybody's preferences are different. But, if I were free to roam I'd try to catch any of the demos and presentations by folks like Kreh, Clouser and Whitlock. There's a lot going on and I always suggest folks study the schedule in advance; look for conflicts in times for presentations; and plan their agenda before you arrive. There may be some changes when you get there and I think there is usually a printout of these changes at the desk outside the exhibit hall. Also find out where the class rooms and destination theatre are located....separate rooms on the floor above the exhibit floor, I expect. If you are a fly tyer, you may also want to check the schedule for featured tyers. Some will also have their own tying desk. Whitlock will probably again "personalize" his artwork for you. A lot of folks like to purchase books and have them autographeded. You may well get some one on one instruction from some of the better known personalities. ..catch them early.

A backpack, shoulder bag or small rolling luggage will be beneficial for collecting stuff....especially if you are planning to purchase... You can make trips to your car but that may be more trouble and time consuming. Pack a lunch and water... or go with the offerings at the snack bar....

Most vendors I think will let you demo their rods...either on the casting pond...or in a vacant adjacent exhibit hall. If you have a particular line and reel you own....bring those...and use on the demo rod....or use the reel and line that may be provided.

There is an informal group of fly tyers from around the region that will be gathering in a function room at the Marriott and tying and lying and sippin' perhaps until the wee hours. Open to anyone. Some will arrive after the close of the show...or after dinner. Some may stay there and tie all day and never attend the show...

And finally, make sure to spend most of your $$$ at the Carolina Mountain Sports booth. :) Say hello and let me know you're on NCAngler....

Wherever you shop, cash will expedite the purchase and may get a little better deal. Otherwise you may stand in line to checkout if using a card. Most vendors I expect will take credit cards. Some items can be discounted....some cannot be...but there are often optional "incentives."

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Take a look at the website first and try to figure out which seminars you want to go to. They are free and well worth sitting through. The casting demos by Lefty and Bob Clouser are worth watching. You can even volunteer to have Lefty give you some casting tips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.