NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishwhisperer and myself stumbled onto this pond few weeks back. Bedding bream were all over so I came back a few days later with the ole long rod. Note- I hate flyfishing for trout. Trout are more fun caught on an eggbeater. :D
Anyway Bream are the bomb on a long rod. used my usual set up for them. A yellow popper with a black ant trailer. Sometimes you can get doubles but today that all hit the Black ant. Also, note the greenish white face on that one small bream. Coolest bream I think I have seen. Both sides were like that and it was more impressive in person.
Food Fish Fishing Fisherman Ray-finned fish
Hand tool Wood Hunting Tool Grass
Glasses Water Sky Plant Tree
Water Sky Fisherman Fish Tree
Fish Grass Ray-finned fish Fishing Fin

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Mack, how far behind the popper do you put your trailer. Fantastic catches. I caught some that same size on the 13th of this month around New Bern on my 4 wt fly rod. Had to be as quick as they were to keep them from going under cover. I ended up with about 30 bream and 2 LMBs that day. Best day I've ever had, and the largest fish also. Went back to the same spot yesterday, and ended up with 8 fish, but lost a few also. The 8 fish I caught were as large as the ones on the 13th. Screwed up my best spot by not noticing my drift and got a bit close. Could have been they just got too wary of my fly. It was time for me to leave. If it hadn't been, I may have waited an hour or so and returned. If I had been using a trailer where I was, I'd have gotten hung up almost every time, but may not have had to have gotten as close as with just my foam bream fly.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Rouse, I tie it right at 1 ft back....i tie directly to the bend in the popper hook. you still can hook bream no problem on the popper as well and the popper is a strike indicator if they are just hitting the ant.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.