NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I've done it one time in the fall at Topsail. It was low tide and I walked out onto a sandbar that would be like 4-5 feet under at high tide. I caught 4 blues from a school that I think were probably chasing spot around. I didn't catch any spot but people surf fishing with spinning rods were. I guess the spot like the bait just to sit still. Sinking tip line with a White and red clouser using a 10/11 wt rod and reel. You also got to carry a creel with you. When the tide starting coming back in it got kinda tuff to cast and not get knocked around by the waves. I may try it again this year but you got to have your stuff with and be ready to go because when you hear that the fish are biting yu got to be out there ready to go. I have heard of people catching a spanish mackerel and tarpon using the same technique (which would be really cool). I know that people catch Stripers off Hatteras in the late fall but I think the water would be too rough to try to flyfish any distance out but I guess you don't know until you try.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
FLY FISHING OFF Shackleford

I do not know how to fly fish but I see many fly fishermen fishing off the south end of Shakleford across from Fort Macon. They are standing in the surf.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My first salt water fly fishing experiences were in the surf along the Northern Outer Banks in the mid-late 80's. It can be a lot of fun and very excititng. I've caught blues, spanish, specks, grays, flounder, puppy drum...even pompano. The key to the whole thing is using the right fly line and being a good caster.
Capt. Gary

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Capt. Gary, Any suggestions on flies for pompano?
Redfishtom, I've seen lots of times when a cane pole would be ok in the surf but like bait and fly said you got to be ready when they are co-operative. It is something I haven't done yet but I have the gear and the desire. Maybe, just maybe I'll get lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time with the right gear this year. If you get to give it a shot I hope that you get one of those days when there is plenty of bait and even more fish. AL

·
Registered
204 Posts
I designed a fly years ago and it works great and easy to tie....sort of a glorified crazy charlie or got-cha. #4 3007 mustad hook, lead barbell eye, tan and orange estaz body, gold flash tail and a tan craft fur wing...imitates a sand flee/mole crab...fished on a sinking line.
Capt Gary

·
Registered
574 Posts
captgary said:
I designed a fly years ago and it works great and easy to tie....sort of a glorified crazy charlie or got-cha. #4 3007 mustad hook, lead barbell eye, tan and orange estaz body, gold flash tail and a tan craft fur wing...imitates a sand flee/mole crab...fished on a sinking line.
Capt Gary
Capt Gary, post a pic of that one when you get a chance. I swear you guys are gonna make me try this fly-tie stuff if you don't knock it off. I'm not too interested in making a hook look like a skeeter, but if you make it look like a sand flea, I'm impressed.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I just know when I catch a fish on a flyrod I feel like I have REALLY done something especially if it is a good sized fish because you dont have a gear ratio to help reel in line. It is also satisfying after several mis-casts to get the fly out into the spot that you want too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
parrot head, come to the dark side!! once you buy that first vice and tie the first fly, you will throw rocks at all other styles of fishing.;) seriously, when you catch that first fish, whether its a bream or a brookie, you will be hooked. knowing that the fish liked it well enough to eat it.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Many years ago, Spanish were running by shoreline along Drum Inlet every incoming tide. I threw everything I had at them except my tackle box-- nothing produced. I came home and fashioned a small minnow with aluminum foil on a # 6 hook, covered it with epoxy. Took my fly rod next day-- that was the ticket. Thats when really I got serious about fly tying. Sometimes the fish are more interested in a morsel rather than a large bait.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Thanks Capt. Gary That's going on the to do soon list.

One of the reasons to fly fish is becase it allows the lure to linger in the strike zone long enough for a fish to have a decent shot at catching it without wasting a lot of it's energy. (But that's reason #9)....... Reason to fly fish... it's fun on good days and plenty of challenge anytime. Like bow hunting helps a gun hunter to finally understand deer hunting, the flyfisherman learns more about his quarry in order to be sucessful. It can take up a little more than it's fair share of your time though. Trust me or just look at Forrest's fly collection some time. Think of all the honey do's he must have missed.:eek:

·
Registered
574 Posts
sinker man said:
Think of all the honey do's he must have missed.:eek:
If Mama ain't happy.......... Seriously, I have often said I don't have the time, talent or patience require to learn fly fishing or tying.

Talent can be learned and time can be earned, if you make Mama happy. However, I have recently discovered that I have been short changing myself in the patience department and I'm a glutton for punishment. Still leading the youngest cub scouts, and now I'm coaching 13 little leaguers:eek: . After that, patience won't be a problem, but there's not gonna be much fishing for me until after June:( . It's worth it though. And I have my vicarious fishing on ncangler. Keep the posts and pics coming.

One day when I'm too old to see thread, I'll have time for tying.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.