NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
You can certainly do the same for less buying the blocks and straps from a kayak dealer. Make sure you tighten down the boat enough to make sure they cannot wedge out while driving, but not so tight that the bouncing of the boat will scratch your car (unless you drive an old one like me, in which case a few scratches are ok).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does this look like something for a car that just has a bare roof?
Nothing at all up there?

Kelley

·
Registered
219 Posts
It looks like an alternative to using use loose foam blocks. Normally, if someone does not have a roof rack, be it factory or a Thule or Yakima, foam blocks are temporary solution. This product here would be better than loose foam blocks, because the wind won't blow these off your car while you are loading the boat. I currently have a factory rack and it barely holds two boats due to lack of strength. A Thule or Yakima rack is the way to go. I will be getting a Thule rack soon myself.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Are you thinking of your sedan or your SUV?
My first reaction is that using foam blocks on your Trooper would be awfully hard to reach that far up...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Either way, you need to be careful not to dent the roof-top. I have an Altima (now mine after trading my F-150 4x4 Supercrew in for my wife's Explorer Limited) and was planning on going out today. Tried to use cut "noodles" and/or block foamies and the roof acted as though it would collapse. Argghh...guess I will have to wait until the Yak-Rack comes in next week. Will have to take the water hose to the OK Prowler to get it wet for the first time, I guess!?!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Surf rack pads and a pair of ratchet straps is all you need.
Be careful with the term "ratchet straps" -- a lot of folks express concern about over-tightening straps when you use the kind with the ratchet mechanism in the buckle -- the kind where you lever the buckle back and forth to ratchet the strap tight. It's usually better to go with the straps with a buckle that grabs tight -- the only tension involved is what you pull into it, there's no lever arm to provide mechanical advantage.

If you accidentally over-tighten it, you can deform your plastic boat, or worse, crack it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.