NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made my 4th trip to Fontana...one guided and 3 unguided. I think this lake is beautiful but I'm going to find a lake with fish in it...Fontana just doesn't produce results compared to the effort...including when guided. The only thing we didn't use were hand grenades and I caught two walleye fishing for smallies...saw more snakes than fish. Hope you guys that fish it with some regularity get your time/monies worth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That lake is chock full of spotted bass

What do they eat? They don't like jerk baits, worms and wackies, flukes, squirrel head jigs, jig/grub, crankbaits, tubes, or anything else we showed them. Also if you look at the last TVA survey...Fontana is down the list....not trying to argue anything but I've been fishing for 50 years and I've only run into water like this a couple of times. Might be diff if you fished it everyday but for the occasional visitor there surely are better lakes.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Never fished there but you haven't Carolina rigged a speedcraw. I would lay a 20 says that's the only bait I threw all day and I would catch fish. Not trying to sound like a smart elick but if what yer throwin ain't catchin then chuck somethin else and if that don't work chuck a speedcraw.

Gene - RED >X< - Asheboro

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never fished there but you haven't Carolina rigged a speedcraw. I would lay a 20 says that's the only bait I threw all day and I would catch fish. Not trying to sound like a smart elick but if what yer throwin ain't catchin then chuck somethin else and if that don't work chuck a speedcraw.

I don't take it as a smart aleck...but they didn't bite a craw either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know the saying "90% of the fish are in 10% of the water"? Fontana is more like 99% of the fish in 1% of the water.

Take a charter with captain james. 153 charters.

And even the best captains can't put a lot of fish in the boat some days. That's just fishing.
Actually 80% of the fish are on the flats 90% of the time...xcept at Fontana where the flats are vertical. Think the issues with Fontana are: A) Total fish count...low compared to other lakes. B) The xtremes of water level...no rest for the weary. C) The lack of cover xcept all the floatsam and garbage back in coves. D) The lack of flats except up streams...no areas to concentrate numbers.

Next trip is to Kerr...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep plenty of fish. Last time I fished it was two weekends ago. Myself and one other person in the boat fished till lunch caught about 20 mostly largemouth a few smallies. Mostly caught on flukes, a few on topwater, one or two on a jerkbait and two on a wacky rig and I only fish it about two or three times a year

·
Registered
813 Posts
.....areas to concentrate numbers...
When I fished Fontana in the 70's, the Smallmouths were concentrated around the creek mouths. We also caught Smallies and 'Bows trolling in and out of Eagle, Hazel, and Forney Creeks. I sure you're right about the number of fish being low in the lake. That seems to be the case in most lakes these days. Fishermen got better and there's more of 'em. I've heard the Smallmouth population has declined majorly. The fishing was really good back in the 70's. We caught so many species. Largemouths, Walleyes, and White Bass showed up too. I have not fished Fontana since.

·
Registered
279 Posts

Fish_fiend - You and those speed craws... They might work up in one of the rivers like the Little Tenn or Tuck on Fontana. Most of the lake would be little to deep for that method.

Rar, Fontana is a great fishing lake but tough due to how the fish change location throughout the year. (often very deep) I fish it mostly in the spring when the fish run up into the rivers and do very well. (not many walleye this year, but tons of bass) I know some guys find the fish using fish finders and then drop a jig tipped with minnow 40-70+ feet down to them...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I've caught Carolina rig fish in 2 fow and I've caught with that technique in 35 fow at Belews Creek. Not saying your wrong and I'm right I just have that kind of confidence in that technique and that bait.

·
Registered
101 Posts
May not mean anything but here is the "fishing report" from the Asheville Citizen Times May 28.
Fontana: Very good bass activity. Smallmouth and spotted bass are hitting live minnows, Wacky Worms, tube-jigs, nightcrawlers, and live minnows off points. Largemouth bass are hitting Pop-Rs and floating worms early morning and late evening back in coves. Walleye are hitting lead-head jogs tipped with nightcrawlers off red-clay banks. Sourwood worms are emerging, providing prime live bait for bass and just about any other fish in the lake. Bream are hitting crickets and red worms. For more information, call 828-498-2129.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've caught Carolina rig fish in 2 fow and I've caught with that technique in 35 fow at Belews Creek. Not saying your wrong and I'm right I just have that kind of confidence in that technique and that bait.

I had a cabin on a chain of lakes in Northern Wisconsin for 12 years...species were northern, crappie, sunnies and gills and largemouth/smallies. I must have bot $2000 worth of Rapala cranks, tons of spinners, hundreds of worms and hooks. I spent the last 10 years fishing bass with 5' Kalin lunker worms on a mushroom jighead...about $0.30 cents worth of bait...and caught bass by the school. Sometimes you just find something that works in the water you fish.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You just hit a bad week. Spots have just come off beds and about all we are catching last week or so are small fish. Going to get good real fast. Last week was spring equivalent of fall turnover period, if you picked those two times to fish Fontana you or anyone else is going to go home disappointed. Want to really see what is there come back November through March with Dec and January top months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.