NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I will be fishing Fontana this weekend in the general area of the Tsali boat ramp. I'll go for anything that bites but usually targeting bass. In the past I haven't had any luck with spinner baits, rattletraps, crankbaits, and some worms/lizards. Do you all have any tips for lures for kayak fishing this area? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here is a link from a thread a month or two ago. Some pretty good info. Specific asking about Smallmouth but they're all bass and will respond similarly. Wish I could be of more help but this is a start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a link from a thread a month or two ago. Some pretty good info. Specific asking about Smallmouth but they're all bass and will respond similarly. Wish I could be of more help but this is a start.
Thank you! I'm not used to fishing the deeper mountain lakes, and the last two summers I've had basically no luck. I'll take any tips get a few in the boat!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thank you! I'm not used to fishing the deeper mountain lakes, and the last two summers I've had basically no luck. I'll take any tips get a few in the boat!
Yeah the depths are pretty mind blowing. I've always bass fished structure typically oriented along the shoreline. There are some rocky areas but many if not most areas of Fontana drop into pretty significant depth just a few yards off the shoreline. And sometimes right along the shoreline. As that other thread stated, if you can get up in any creeks you can find some shallower water. When I was up there a couple months ago the bass were chasing baitfish near the surface. Problem is, they're there then they're gone, only to blow up 100 yards away. Unless they blow up within casting distance it's a losing game of trying to chase them down. A lot of people troll too.
We found a few smallish bass way up the Little Tennessee in some shallower water.
If you pull up the lake on Google maps, and switch to the satellite picture, it was taken a while back when the lake was drawn way down. This can give you an idea of what the shoreline structure looks like under the water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was there early this year when it was WAY down so I have a better idea of that specific area’s topography. I realized I need to be fishing deeper than I was. The downside of kayak fishing is I can’t quickly cover a lot of ground. Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts