NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like others on here, I'm determined to use the fly rod more.
I been to the Neuse in the area below the dam
with limited success ( couple of sunnys). Was lucky enough to land a
nice size wht bass at Penny's Bend this spring.
Just trying to open up my options.
Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can also give a shout out to the Haw at various access points where the water's low enough to wade. Just be careful, it's slippery and kinda nasty water. Decent fish though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I fished the Reedy Creek this morning, below Lake Crabtree. I was pretty unimpressed. About 200 yards down the trail I started seeing No Trespassing signs all over the place. So I turned around and headed back to the car. Lake Crabtree is still pretty blown out from the rain last week. Here's hoping for a quiet week this week, I want to stalk some golden bones again!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I fished the Reedy Creek this morning, below Lake Crabtree. I was pretty unimpressed. About 200 yards down the trail I started seeing No Trespassing signs all over the place. So I turned around and headed back to the car. Lake Crabtree is still pretty blown out from the rain last week. Here's hoping for a quiet week this week, I want to stalk some golden bones again!

I'm telling you the Eno is where it's at. Just watch for snakes too and from the water. If you see them in the water they are most likely water snakes. If you see them on the trail they are most likely a copperhead. Me and two other friends almost stepped on one that was stretched across the trail Sat. It was late afternoon and the shade made it hard to see. Luckily I spotted the pattern before we got too close.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm telling you the Eno is where it's at. Just watch for snakes too and from the water. If you see them in the water they are most likely water snakes. If you see them on the trail they are most likely a copperhead. Me and two other friends almost stepped on one that was stretched across the trail Sat. It was late afternoon and the shade made it hard to see. Luckily I spotted the pattern before we got too close.
I was very watchful for snakes. Made sure to make a lot of noise and walk very heavy. Luckily I didn't see any. I fished Black Creek last week and walking through all that brush is bad on your nerves. I just put my fly rod out in front of me and constantly tap the beaten path with the tip as I walk.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I fished the Reedy Creek this morning, below Lake Crabtree. I was pretty unimpressed. About 200 yards down the trail I started seeing No Trespassing signs all over the place. So I turned around and headed back to the car.
Yes, it's very unimpressive just past the dam. Try further inside the park via the trails. Probably the easiest access to a stream without trail walking is off Ebeneezer Rd. You'll be near the confluence of Sycamore and Crabtree Creeks. Go upstream into the park.

Eno is very nice, better that Umstead in most ways. That would have been my first suggestion if the original post didn't ask "in and around Raleigh".

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I was very watchful for snakes. Made sure to make a lot of noise and walk very heavy. Luckily I didn't see any. I fished Black Creek last week and walking through all that brush is bad on your nerves. I just put my fly rod out in front of me and constantly tap the beaten path with the tip as I walk.

Tap the path with the rod tip? My luck = broken rod tip......

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Made it out to the Neuse, below the Dam. Caught a bunch
of sunny's, (maybe) wht bass and a few wht crappie. About 25 fish
over all. Nothing over 8 inches but still fun on a 5wt.
Used to be one of my favorite spots when my office was on FotN Rd. There are a few footballs hanging out under some cover waiting for small fish to ambush. Next time try a large streamer in some of the likely areas and you might get a surprise. If you aren't a purist, a small plastic worm or grub is easy to fish unweighted on a fly rod and can be deadly in that stretch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts