NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in venturing out in salt water for the first time. Can someone give me some advice on where to go and what type of fishing is available in the Fort Fisher area or other places on the coast?

Thanks in advance!!

Jeff

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Surf and kayak.
Without a doubt, Fort Fisher has the best surf fishing on the island.
The back water has great fishing opportunity from yaks.

Or you walk the wall on the river side of the fort casting. I pick up flounder over 20 inches just walking and tossing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information so far.

Also if someone would let me follow along for a fishing trip I would be open for that as well. I pay my own way:D

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've been thinking about taking my canoe down there with a buddy but wondered if the wind would make it a big hassle. I've got a couple 9 foot SIK's but I would rather have the room for a cooler in the canoe and extra stability.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will be there next week on vacation. Would love to meet up and join some for fishing. I just got my first sit on top fishing yak and I am ready to get it wet and slimy.

I have done some fishing from a sit in at the rivers here in SC. The coast has me looking or a partner to venture out with.

Staying in Carolina beach, but can meet anywhere close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I will be there next week on vacation. Would love to meet up and join some for fishing. I just got my first sit on top fishing yak and I am ready to get it wet and slimy.

I have done some fishing from a sit in at the rivers here in SC. The coast has me looking or a partner to venture out with.

Staying in Carolina beach, but can meet anywhere close.

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Surf and kayak.
Without a doubt, Fort Fisher has the best surf fishing on the island.
The back water has great fishing opportunity from yaks.

Or you walk the wall on the river side of the fort casting. I pick up flounder over 20 inches just walking and tossing.
I'm not anywhere near a good salt water fisherman but I do OK most of the time. When I go to FF I focus on both sides of the wall and the cribbens(?) area.

I've also done OK at the Carolina Beach boat basin but I always have to fish it hard to get results.

I'm heading down with my brand new Hurricane Skimmer in a few weeks (the 13th I believe) and I'm planning to try out a few new spots this time and try to figure out how to catch decent numbers around Trials End.

If anyone wants to tag along I'm up for it but I fish mostly Mon-Thurs. during the day and I know most people are working. With the high tide being later in the evening I may do a little bit at night this trip but I'll be a little more picky about the safety of the areas I fish after dark.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
be safe, wear your PFD and remember a lot of people start their vacation this week for the 4th!!

Reactions: GreyGhost

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fished FF this morning. My first yak trip. Had a blast. Caught some bottom fish. Also was throwing a gulp white swimming mullet and had a drum boil at it. Threw back and bam! But bad news he got off.

Looking forward to doing it again. But need to pick up some things before heading out next trip. Bigger anchor. And gloves. I have a couple of blisters now.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
I'll be surf fishing FF on the 13th or 14th depending on weather. While I'd love to bring my canoe and fish the back side I'm bringing my wife instead. Beach bunny. This means I will be relegated to 4 wheel driving down the beach and surf fishing with maybe a side trip over to the wall. Not that I'm complaining.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I may be doing the same thing in the same place on the 15th (Wife's bday)...

I'll be surf fishing FF on the 13th or 14th depending on weather. While I'd love to bring my canoe and fish the back side I'm bringing my wife instead. Beach bunny. This means I will be relegated to 4 wheel driving down the beach and surf fishing with maybe a side trip over to the wall. Not that I'm complaining.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.