NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday I decided to load the yak and target flounder around fort fisher. Since the season closes for rec anglers in October, (which is dumb) felt like I should try and catch a few for food. Most of my citation-size flounder have come in October/November too but anyway, back to the report ;)

Been so busy w/work I forgot the Carolina Beach Inshore challenge was going on, and saw the ramp was jam packed with trailers by the time I showed up. Even though only bout an 8-min drive to fort fisher from my house in C-Beach. Fishing pressure aside I launched and went in search of bait. Plenty of bait around but not the size I like so it took some searching. Finally netted about 2-dozen larger finger mullets and off I paddled.

After 2 hours of hitting go-to areas w/little more to show for it other than rat reds, I tried a new area that looked really good due to water flow over a steep drop-off and structure. Had about an hour and a half of fishing time left so I flung some of my bigger mullet out there and the spot produced quickly. Caught 3 keepers, 2 of them were over 19 inches. Also caught a good-sized trout, and had some good runs from what I suspected to be upper slot reds because I got one to the yak and lost it. I also lost what I'd guess to be a 6-7 lb plus flounder right at the yak. He wasn't hooked well and a few hard tail slaps and he was gone. A few guys saw this commotion going on and not discreetly made their way in my direction lol.

Even caught a juvenile grouper, what kind, I'm not sure but I know that's what it was. Wish I got a pic before releasing it! Pretty fish. All in all solid day.

FYI guys at Island Tackle told me they weighed a 9.6 and a 10 lb flounder outta Snow's Cut this weekend. Heavy current, many snags/drop-offs = no nets, which equals big flatfish.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Great report! Heading down in a couple weeks to camp at Carolina beach state park. Looking forward to hitting ft fisher. Last time we were there snows cut's current looked a bit quick for me to kayak. Especially paddling vs pedaling! I guess it depends on the tide though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great report! Heading down in a couple weeks to camp at Carolina beach state park. Looking forward to hitting ft fisher. Last time we were there snows cut's current looked a bit quick for me to kayak. Especially paddling vs pedaling! I guess it depends on the tide though.

Its doable in a kayak when the tide isn't flowing at full strength. Or you can paddle to the edges and anchor up or get out and fish on the exposed areas at low tide. For me, the hazard of kayak fishing snows cut has more to do with the huge wake put out by large boats, and other boaters not seeing me in general.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Will add there are some truly monsterous boats that come through the cut since it was built as a travel shortcut. That said, I've seen the water recede way out along the bank tsunami-style due to the sudden waves generated by the bigger vessels. Definitely no fun to deal with in a yak and if anchored gotta pull anchor quickly. Also there is some quality fishing to be had at the state park along the bank. Have been successful flipping into the steep drop offs from the shore

·
Registered
202 Posts
We tried fishing from the marina towards the ocean with little luck. Not very deep when we were there. Not much into fight boats either! I do like ft fisher though! Hopefully won't get carried away by the Zika skeetas.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We tried fishing from the marina towards the ocean with little luck. Not very deep when we were there. Not much into fight boats either! I do like ft fisher though! Hopefully won't get carried away by the Zika skeetas.

The noseeums and squitos weren't bad at fort fisher Sunday. Breeze kept them at bay plus I've noticed they're out more in evening though. Let us know how you do, put a finger mullet on the rock wall and you'll get bit by something. If Yaking behind zeke's is a good area

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.