NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Do you fish out of a kayak?
He's got kayak info in his profile. Both of you can go into your User CP, Group Memberships and join the NC Kayak Anglers Group. That'll add the NC Kayak Anglers line under your ID in all your posts and make you easily identifiable (with the rest of us - may or may not do wonders for your cool factor:))

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry my post was a bit short on details. Yes, I am a relatively new kayak fisher. Would like to increase my coastal knowledge and was looking at Fort Fisher. Looks like a popular spot for folks on this site.

I'm looking at getting on the water around 7:30 to 8:00 and need to be back on the road by 1:30 or so.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Welcome aboard, MR2Fish! (is that "Mister 2Fish" or "'em are 2 fish"?)

Great to have new yak-anglers. Ft Fisher is a great place, especially for rookie saltwater outings, because it's sheltered from the ocean and from the river. There's lots of room, but not all that easy to get lost. (The second time I was down there, though, I did appreciate having a compass on board. You can't always see the aquarium roof. There are other landmarks, though, if you pay attention.) There's not so much boat traffic that it's hard to deal with, either.

There are quite a few local places that are good too... the biggest immediate concern is that the local lakes and rivers will tend to be cooler than the coast for the next couple of months... so the coast will probably be more comfortable for a short while.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you've been lurking for a while, then you know I've got a yellow 12' Manta Ray... Very nice boat...

Reactions: MR2Fish

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It'll be interesting to see the two of 'em side by side!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Can you fish out of a sit inside at the coast?? I'm still learning. Haven't bought my own yet so I'm still borrowing my step father's.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Sit-Insides at Fort Fisher? Sure can. Moseyak caught a real nice flounder down there in June, from his 14' Pungo (I think it is -- might be a Pamlico). The only issue is that if the wind and water are aggressive enough to splash, you'll need to keep an eye on how much comes over the coaming. That day in June, I'll bet all the water in Moseyak's boat dripped off his feet and his paddle. When we were out there last weekend, I'd guess you probably would have dumped the water out when we stopped "for lunch"... but I don't think it would have accumulated quickly enough to cause a problem.

Reactions: Coach D

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Can you fish out of a sit inside at the coast?? I'm still learning. Haven't bought my own yet so I'm still borrowing my step father's.
Coach,
I have not fished the surf from a kayak - definite no-no in a recreational Sit-inside. I'd be leery of places like the New Bern, Jax, Manteo bridge areas - I haven't tried them myself either, but that's pretty big water that I wouldn't want to have to face with an overturned sit-inside.

Most of my coastal inshore fishing has been inside shallow, protected bays and barrier island creeks. Often have to cross the ICW or navigate a cut to get where I'm going, but would not have been an issue with a sit-in in any of those places.

The only place I have been where a sit-inside would have been dangerous was at the intersection of Snow's Cut and the ICW with all the big boat traffic moving through - pretty hairy cross wakes in there. But even there I never felt like I was in danger of falling off my plastic pony. The difference is that I'd just hop back on - you'd have a bucket to tow to shore and dump.

·
Registered
544 Posts
He's got kayak info in his profile. Both of you can go into your User CP, Group Memberships and join the NC Kayak Anglers Group. That'll add the NC Kayak Anglers line under your ID in all your posts and make you easily identifiable (with the rest of us - may or may not do wonders for your cool factor:))
My bad. Im still getting used to this site and didn't notice that. Ill probably be able to fish Monday or Tuesday as well so if you decide to fish let me know.

MR2Fish 7:30-1:30 sounds good. I might have to stay a little longer if the fish are biting though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.