NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught 4 drum today all between 17 and 18 inches. 3 were caught back to back to back. I've never had anything happen like that before. They were all caught using Redfish Magic. I love these things and the action in them are awesome. Plus the bait is super strong and will not break or split like other soft baits. We're going out again tomorrow morning to look for the big boys.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I don't think they are as prone to go zooming out of the area when one is hooked in cold water. You obviously found some hungry ones. I hope today is even better for you. Maybe they will be at the same location at the same tidal stage. Good luck!:) AL

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wind kept me from heading out today. I wish we had found more hungry ones yesterday. I forgot to mention that shortly after we caught those a few dolphin swam by. I'm wondering if the ones we landed were running from them as I hear dolphin like to eat drum.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
If I'm into a good bite I hate it when when they show up. Usually they will kill the bite like a light switch in my expierence. If they just cruise thru and go on things might pick back up but I have seen them kill the bite too often. They like trout for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I think puppy drum are a little further down the list but still pretty high on the list. I saw one toss a 5lb snook way up in the air 3 times in Florida the last time I was there. I also watched one chase a single ballyhoo down. At first I thought the ballyhoo was a flying fish because he was almost totally out of the water for about 10-15 yds 3 or 4 times. Only the bottom lobe of his tail would be in the water. It looked neat but the ballyhoo lost in the end. I had a birdseye view of the whole chase from Venice Pier. AL

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
This discussion reminds me of how the species Coryphaena hippurus came to be called Dolphin or Dolphin fish. The fish the Hawaiians (and now many in the food industry) call Mahi Mahi and others call Dorado is often referred to as a Dolphin or sometimes a Dolphin-fish. I was always told that the way the fish came to be called 'dolphin' was that fisherman plying the ocean waters looking for fish would look for dolphins (mammal). Once spottted they would fish that area. The Mahi Mahi often were found with the Dolphins, thus the similiar (and confusing) name. Some sources I checked suggested that the Dolphin-fish at first was a by-catch of long line fisherman targeting Tuna or Swordfish but soon the food value of the Mahi made it a top teir fish as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.