NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be taking the family down for some beach time and the aquarium but also going to at least throw some kind of line in the salt while Im there.

I only have bass gear so ill probably bring a couple 6'6" spining rigs. I know I need to wash them afterward.

What lures and or bait can I use around there and what can I expect to catch? I am, to coin a phrase, a fish out of water on this subject. I dont want to invest a ton of money.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Gulp shrimp, live mullet or mud minnows on a carolina rig, bring a cast net if ya got one to get free bait, i ruined one reel last time i went so i wouldnt bring my best freshwater gear.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Gulp shrimp walking the wall at Fort Fisher for flounder. Catch some fiddler crabs in the marsh grass at low tide and fish for convicts off the wall as well. Don't let an incoming tide git you the wall.
Be prepared to lose some stuff. It's snaggy, but flounder love it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
3/8-1/2oz jigs tipped with shrimp or gulp. If you fish directly across from the fort be careful of rocks, you'll lose a mess of gear. Just a little south of the south gazebo the bottom is a little less harsh. Throw a finger mullet on a flounder rig in the suds. Get there early or late and you'll have more room.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Them rocks where you lose a mess of gear is my honey hole.
That rock outcropping has things growing on it that bait eats. Big fish come to the bait.
Caught a bunch of bull reds there. Caught tarpon there. Sharks, spanish, flounder, big rays. etc. It's a suicide mission at times. You cast a rig out there knowing it's not coming back unless there is a fish hanging on it.

But that's why it's a good hole. Aint many people can get their mind right enough to break off all day long. Most boogy butt after the second break off. You fish it enough though, you know where some dish pan sized clear spots are.
I've caught some huge flounder out of them rocks.
Conservatively, I've probably lost 500 bucks in that hole and that's probably low balling the heck out of it.

You gotta fish where the fish are. Break off over and over and catch fish...or fish clean bottom and catch trash.

Fixing to be on that hole for a whole week coming up very shortly. I always stay the Riggings. The condos at the rocks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Haha well between you and I there is a thousand pounds of gear in those rocks. Hit it every morning and just about every afternoon when I was working across the street. The north side of the upper rocks used to drive me crazy.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Bobby sat me down one morning and told me how to fish those rocks. You fish those rocks much you know Bobby.
You gotta get your head right. So while I drive down I mentally prepare to tie knots and lose tackle all day long.

Bobby catches a good fish and you got somebody muscling in on you....He says watch this. Just sit and take a little break, this won't take long.
Dude pops his line, picks up his little bitty candy sack with a weight and a rig or two in it and moves on. ......He aint got his mind right....... and he isn't prepared.

My motto. If you aint hangin you aint catchin either.

I'll tell you how bad it is. I'm carrying 50 pounds of no roll sinkers with me to last a week.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Older fella, has one of them condos above the pool there. Lives in Salisbury.
You name it I've probably seen him pull it from the ocean at the rocks. Only bait he ever uses is sand fleas. Ties his leaders with the main line and only uses bank sinkers. 5 ouncers.

Tsunami spinning rod. Little surf booties.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nope, finally a judge with some common sense told the CRC that since these people weren't allowed beach renourishment, THE SAND BAGS STAY! The state of NC wants that land to add to Fisher.
Yeah that was the rumblings when I was there. I can't recall the guy. Still the little Italian guy fishing out there, Pete is his name. We used to wear the stretch around the south gazebo out.

Good times! Just told the old lady we are going back in October.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I don't know the area so I might be talking out my ...... would a bobber and rigging your baits weedless help with the hang ups there or will the current/waves not allow that?

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I get some Guld shrimp and fish them on a carolina rig? Do I fish that like im bass fishing or just let it soak?

You guys talk about the rocks and the wall like they are very clear to find. Should I be looking ocean side or river side? When I say I have 0 experience with this I mean absolutely nill.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
There's rocks all along the ocean side at the fort area starting just south of the Riggins condos.
There's the wall that encircles the basin in the area of the boat launch on the river side. With your bass tackle you can fish either area depending on conditions. If you like to use artificials, you can keep it simple with bucktails or jigheads with soft plastics. If you're not familiar, a short scouting trip by walking along these structures will reveal what others are doing. Check out the areas on google earth and zoom in for greater detail. And as someone already mentioned, be aware of the tide stages if you venture out on the river side wall.

Have fun and good luck.
Those are high tide photos of the riggings. The only rock you see there is rock that was put there. The rock to fish , is the coquina rock formations.

For those not familiar with the riggings. It's the only piece of beach that doesn't get renourished because it is bracketed pretty much on each property line by natural rock formations. Federally protected coquina rock. It's nasty stuff to fish but attracts and holds fish.

·
Registered
585 Posts
So I get some Guld shrimp and fish them on a carolina rig? Do I fish that like im bass fishing or just let it soak?

You guys talk about the rocks and the wall like they are very clear to find. Should I be looking ocean side or river side? When I say I have 0 experience with this I mean absolutely nill.
Work the gulp like you would a bass jig. Hop it along the bottom. Keep moving and casting. You could fish the wall on the riverside, or the surf. Fish the rocks in the surf.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts