NC Angler Forums banner

What are your feelings about a fairly caught fish? Count as a PB (add comment)?

• Inside the mouth only, anything else is snagged

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Hooked on outside of mouth is fine; still count as a caught fish

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Foul hooked is different than snagged, but wouldn't count it

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • A fish brought to hand is a caught fish

Votes: 9 40.9%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference? I got to thinking about this after a recent topic bemoaning the use of trebles. I found a picture of a blue that illustrates the quandary:

A lot of blues I have caught are hooked similar to that. I usually cast a heavy spoon for them and a lot of them are hooked on the outside of the mouth. I think they strike the body of the lure coming in at an angle rather than coming from directly behind it.

The inland regulations take intent into account:
It is unlawful to snag fish by pulling or jerking a device equipped with one or more hooks through the water for the purpose of impaling fish.
Not sure what the salt water regs are exactly.

But I am curious - Do you feel like a fish has to be hooked inside the mouth to be "fairly caught" as opposed to foul hooked or snagged? Do you think there is a difference between foul hooked and snagged (I think sometimes there is, like the blue in the picture) ?

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another thought with the way I worded the poll; I am making a distinction between counting and keeping (if I am keeping). I would keep a blue hooked outside the mouth but if it were a PB I wouldn't count it. Actually I probably wouldn't keep in that case as I like the small to mid sized ones for eating but I think you get the idea.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't bother me to catch them on the outside of the mouth, but even though I know what the P in PB stands for I have to admit it matters to me what other people think; I wouldn't want there to be any question that it was a legit catch.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
yeah, that pic is a caught fish IMO. it happens alot when fish hit lures with trebles... now if it was caught coming across his back behind his fins i'd say it was foul hooked if no intention to "snag" was present

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
It doesn't bother me to catch them on the outside of the mouth, but even though I know what the P in PB stands for I have to admit it matters to me what other people think; I wouldn't want there to be any question that it was a legit catch.
I would say I caught my PB. I would say you cheated.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I've always use the snagged/foul hooked terms interchangeably. However, I don't think jerking a weighted treble hook into the side of a fish is a catch. That said, if I put a hook into them somewhere outside the mouth I have to assume that they were trying to eat my offering or were thinking real hard about it and just got too close. For example, I hooked a keeper bass recently just beside it's pectoral fin on a t-rig. I was pulling the lure over a stick and it just got heavy so I set the hook. I don't know if the fish had it and spit it out just before I set or took a swipe and missed but I counted the fish toward my daily total.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've hooked carp and salmon in the back on a retrieve. Neither was a catch but, man, do they pull hard. The salmon was an 8 pounder in a river on Kodiak Island. I thought I stumbled into a king but it was just a fouled pink.

I won't count anything that appears not to be a fish strike. I will count it if they missed and got the hook set in the side.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
FLW rule on the topic: All bass caught while sight-fishing must be hooked inside the mouth and immediately shown to your boater or co-angler for verification.

Other than that rule, everything else is fair game based on my interpretation of the rules based on print and hearing it explained by tournament directors over the years. If I have one hooked in the top of the head and back with a crankbait, its going in the livewell. If you had a way of intentionally snagging them, your boater/co would catch on pretty quick as he watches what you are doing and nets every fish foul hooked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.