NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was drained only 2-3 years ago, and restocked, so the bass are small...

But the red ears were 8-10" and a ball on my ultralight.

I've been using a casting bobber with a fly tied about 5 feet behind it. The casting bobber allows my ultralight to cast a fly 80-90 feet, and a real slow retrieve makes the fly bounce on the surface or just below it.... Apparently deadly to red ear/shellcrackers. Not sure what type of fly.... I bought a box of like 50 flies at a yard sale for $2, and have been using them... This was white and fluffy, if that helps.

No pics, but a dozen of these red ear came out to play. Only 2 were below 8", the biggest was a little more than 10". Lots of fun.

I frustrated a local (who was catfishing) by releasing the red ear.... He asked, politely, for any over 8", so I gave him my last 3-4 fish. He was very happy.

A great evening.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
It was drained only 2-3 years ago, and restocked, so the bass are small...

But the red ears were 8-10" and a ball on my ultralight.

I've been using a casting bobber with a fly tied about 5 feet behind it. The casting bobber allows my ultralight to cast a fly 80-90 feet, and a real slow retrieve makes the fly bounce on the surface or just below it.... Apparently deadly to red ear/shellcrackers. Not sure what type of fly.... I bought a box of like 50 flies at a yard sale for $2, and have been using them... This was white and fluffy, if that helps.

No pics, but a dozen of these red ear came out to play. Only 2 were below 8", the biggest was a little more than 10". Lots of fun.

I frustrated a local (who was catfishing) by releasing the red ear.... He asked, politely, for any over 8", so I gave him my last 3-4 fish. He was very happy.

A great evening.
I frustrated some locals once as well. They were taking every fish from a pond that they could catch regardless of size. This is a good measure at times but when they wanted my 14"-15" crappie I said no sir. Released several like that......

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update....

Been there twice since initial post....

Bream have not been back for me. I must have used up all my bream luck on the first day. Caught several small (under 8") bass on grubs/jigheads. Caught a catfish on a gulp cricket. The catfish is a stocker, 15-16", placed in the pond just to provide people with something to eat (******* food stamps is how I refer to them).

Nice little pond... But it's already getting crowded.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I've told many a person to kick rocks when pond fishing like this. Some people will keep a 3" bluegill and throw it in the cooler, ridiculousness. Hopefully the pond doesn't get wiped out too bad Len... 8" redears on light tackle are a blast

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You would probably be surprised at how many fish need to be removed on a yearly basis from a pond. It goes by pounds not size.
This is why the best years un-managed ponds will see fishing wise will be 3-5 years old generally. Because enough poundage is not taken out. After the 5th year the scale has flipped the other way into decline.

One of the ponds on the farm I would go 2 days in a row and absolutely slay the big bluegills keeping them all. 75 or 80 of them.
It didn't do a thing but help that pond keep producing like that. I wasn't putting a dent in the bluegill population. It needed doing more often than I was doing it.

There is a lot of work to pond management. Way more work than fishing. It's called cleaning fish.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
there definitely needs to be fished removed to keep a pond healthy drum runner you are absolutely right. but there are many many many ponds I grew up fishing that were completely abused. Groups of 5 and 6 guys fishing every waking minute they could every day keeping everything they catch. A few days may not make an impact but when that happens for several years it puts a hurt on a fish population.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Leave big fish and there'll be big fish....if you want small ones removed then remove them and add predators....

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I could not help but see your amazing fish count for 2014. Mine has been a fraction of that since most of the time I go fishing it is with my son or wife or a friend that does not know how to Phish. I usually spend more time teaching them then fishing on my own. I live down in Hope Mills which is a suburb of Fayettevilleand I have the hardest time trying to find a body of water that has any productivity. Could you IM me bye giving me somehelpful Hintson where to fish? I have my father visiting from out of town and have not been fishing with him in years. I would like to catch some Bassbut like I said, I seem to not have any luck anywhere around the area I live. The bodies of water I find are either private ponds or lakes like Jordan Lake that are too large to fish from the bank. If you could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Never been in a pond where it mattered what fly you tied on. Dry, wet, popping, yellow, black, white, green. They all caught the crap out of pond fish.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Most likely not. I have used different ones in a pond I like to fish with about the same results. Not sure if the color helps a lot, but I mainly use chartreuse and white on most of my flies for that pond. Black has worked also.

Never been in a pond where it mattered what fly you tied on. Dry, wet, popping, yellow, black, white, green. They all caught the crap out of pond fish.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A may know where you are talking about, as I know you're in the Winston area.
I'm sure you do, from your location. My GF lives in Clemmons.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry Dennis, I'm not really a fly fisher.... Just having fun with a box of flies that I bought and some casting bubbles. I think most of the flies are "trout flies", but what do I know? They sit in a ziploc in my tackle box with some 4 lb flouro leader and some casting bubbles and rarely get to play.

I have noticed that I have been hooking a lot more TINY fish with the flies. I guess they're attracted to the small hooks.

Reactions: dbeam and RouseD

·
Registered
277 Posts
Most likely not. I have used different ones in a pond I like to fish with about the same results. Not sure if the color helps a lot, but I mainly use chartreuse and white on most of my flies for that pond. Black has worked also.
Im could probably fish for bass and bream the rest of my life with no other colors than chart, black and white....heck I pretty much do it anyway.

one exception is worms. I've never fished a white worm, but just picked up a bag of white trick worms. Anyone have any experience with white worms?
sorry to thread jack.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Im could probably fish for bass and bream the rest of my life with no other colors than chart, black and white....heck I pretty much do it anyway.

one exception is worms. I've never fished a white worm, but just picked up a bag of white trick worms. Anyone have any experience with white worms?
sorry to thread jack.
Sure. They'll work...

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah if it's the place I think it is I've had a lot of fun with the flyrod throwing little panfish poppers. They're absolutely tenacious in there. I haven't fished it much recently, but I've never caught a bass in there. I like walking up the trail up the hill past the dock. A stream enters there and you can get away from the crowd that's usually there.

My brother fishes with his friends for cats sometimes and slays them on shrimp.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Len I read what you said about using the bubble and fly in your 1st post. However, with your ability to find great deals, you may want to start tying flies at some point. Great way to chill. I was thinking what you had was a trout fly, but I am not very familiar with those. Just asked out of curiosity. Next time I get back to or near the mtns, I need to get some clear plastic bubble floats. Just don't see the clear ones here. If I order something from BPS or Cabelas, I'll try to think to get some from them. Probably any fairly small float would have worked for bream. they aren't as picky as stream trout.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will send you a few, Dennis. I have plenty.

Reactions: RouseD and dbeam

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
If you ever think about tying, come to the house and spend some time tying to get the feel of it. If you start getting low on any favorites bring or mail one to me and I will try to copy for you.

I really enjoy tying flies, jigs, dressed hooks and making spinners it passes a lot of cold weather time in an enjoyable way. It is a fun way to customize baits and make stuff for friends.

Darrell

1 - 20 of 28 Posts