NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the middle of H***!AKA Myrtle Beach, SC! Back at my girlfriends timeshare fishing an inlet for flounder again this year. Last year was great so I had high hopes for this year. It has been a little slower but still better then sun bathing! 2 keeper flounder so far, 14.5 and 17.5, and a ton of croaker and oyster toads. I got distracted for a while by a school of reds I found in an oyster bed up the creek at low tide. Been after them three different times for an hour or so each time with not even a nibble. I'm going to try the surf tonight so wish me luck! Been difficult because I forgot my tackle in my rush to leave so I have only one surf rig, one pack of Gulp! and one pack of 1/16oz jigheads. Not exactly a recipe for sucess but I'm going to make it work!
Food Fish Cuisine Animal product Dish
Food Ingredient Bottle Cuisine Condiment
Water Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal Marine biology

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's right! Im bank fishing in north myrtle. Casting all the way across the creek and reeling in really slowly. No twitching or anything. I like to fish current so it drifts. I fished live mullet for a long time with no flounder, just toads. Switched to gulp! And caught one within ten minutes. Gulp shrimp lasts longest but I love the action of mantis shrimp if pinfish aren't an issue.

·
Registered
704 Posts
That's right! Im bank fishing in north myrtle. Casting all the way across the creek and reeling in really slowly. No twitching or anything. I like to fish current so it drifts. I fished live mullet for a long time with no flounder, just toads. Switched to gulp! And caught one within ten minutes. Gulp shrimp lasts longest but I love the action of mantis shrimp if pinfish aren't an issue.
Thanks for the tips. I am thinking of paddling up to Dunn Sound if the tide is right and seeing if I can find some reds. I'd be plenty happy with croakers, but reds and/or specks would be great.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never ended up surf fishing. Beach was still crowded at eleven and I didn't feel like dealing with a hundred snobs running through my line every cast. Back home in Joco now!

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
If the pins aren't around in the creeks a 1/8 ounce jighead with a white Gulp swimming mullet is tough to beat. I use the shrimp in New Penny or White if the pins are biting the tail off the swimming mullet.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the pins aren't around in the creeks a 1/8 ounce jighead with a white Gulp swimming mullet is tough to beat. I use the shrimp in New Penny or White if the pins are biting the tail off the swimming mullet.
They were the first gulp I ever used. As a former primarily bass fisherman, A gulp shrimp looked like a blob of actionless poop and I couldn't bring myself to fish it. The mullet did great but the swarms of Topsail pinfish drove me to use the shrimp instead. I was surprised at how good the action on the curly tails of the mantis shrimp were. And the pinfish never did bite them off. They didn't stay on the hook as well as regular shrimp though, almost felt softer. After catching my last 24" red on a Gulp Shrimp that had been dead sticked for ten minutes while I retied lures, action doesn't matter that much to me anymore.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Try the Vudu Shrimp. They have a Kevlar like material in them and they have great action. I bought 8 last year and only lost one to an Oyster bed. NOTE: Do not store them next to other plastics. Not sure why as I have never done it but thats what the package says. Nice Flounder by the way.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The VUDU will destroy (melt) the other baits for some reason. However they do hold up pretty well. I tend to favor the Zman softies lately as they have a great action and they really hold up well. Mantis shrimp by gulp are a favorite but they just get eaten up too quick by the lizard fish.

Reactions: Swampin'
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.