NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after being turned around on the ICW by the navy boats due to range ops, I headed to a little spot I found some consistency in last summer. About 75 yards from the spot I found myself right on top of a school of at least a hundred reds of decent size and nearly fell out of the boat. I managed to compose myself and put the powerpole down and landed a nice 23" fish as soon as my lure hit the water. Unfortunately, he fought through the school and they scattered. I spent the next hour or so figuring out which way they went. After some exploring I found them and landed another 8 fish. They ranged from 18" to 25". Best day I have had on the water since moving here. They hit gulp jerk shad in charturse pepper neon. Besides the wind, great day on the water. Fin Fish Food Ray-finned fish Tail

·
Registered
336 Posts
I got turned around by the naval gunfire today as well. Last decent school I found was in water so skinny you could cast to them without spooking em. Good job playing them until you got them figured out. I couldn't survive the sand gnats long enough to get my school figured out.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I got turned around by the naval gunfire today as well. Last decent school I found was in water so skinny you could cast to them without spooking em. Good job playing them until you got them figured out. I couldn't survive the sand gnats long enough to get my school figured out.
Those gnats are about as bad right now as it gets. I didn't have any bug spray Saturday morning but by Saturday afternoon I had two cans in the boat.

To the OP congrats on a fun day!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I'll be heading there in a few minutes. Two bottles-- one for the boat & one for the yard. They've been eating me alive while I've been planting my 'maters.

We ought to meet up some time and get the yaks in the water after work!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Another good option is a spray bottle mixed with half skin so soft and half rubbing alcohol. Drill instructors and range coaches have been using it for years on Parris island SC. Prob a lot cheaper than that and you can find those two things at any local drug store. If you have ever used any deet product when it's 90+ out and your sweating, they don't mix well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another good option is a spray bottle mixed with half skin so soft and half rubbing alcohol. Drill instructors and range coaches have been using it for years on Parris island SC. Prob a lot cheaper than that and you can find those two things at any local drug store. If you have ever used any deet product when it's 90+ out and your sweating, they don't mix well.

I left PI two summer's ago....I have to say that the bugs here are no where near as bad. Down there it was Off Deep Woods all day. Skin so soft and alcohol just didn't cut it with me. I try to stick to long sleeve and pants as much as possible now.......I don't really want to know the long term affects of deet. Will give the skeeter beater a shot though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You must not have used the proper mixture, I left out adding lemon juice or vinegar so the skin so soft and alcohol would stay mixed together with a quick little shake. I worked on the ranges for two years in the sun and bugs and didn't use any deet product for that reason. When it's humid and above 80 and your pores open up, any off you put on is going to not be comfortable at all and just sweated off. Great fishing out there, sucks they shut down 3rd battalion pond. Lotta huge reds in there.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You must not have used the proper mixture, I left out adding lemon juice or vinegar so the skin so soft and alcohol would stay mixed together with a quick little shake. I worked on the ranges for two years in the sun and bugs and didn't use any deet product for that reason. When it's humid and above 80 and your pores open up, any off you put on is going to not be comfortable at all and just sweated off. Great fishing out there, sucks they shut down 3rd battalion pond. Lotta huge reds in there.
Do you have a recipe that you can say works? Or is any old Google recipe OK?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You aren't kidding. It was difficult running by the pond and seeing black drum the size of my torso in 2 or 3 ft of water and not being able to fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.