NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the last 2 days in my 16' canoe, floating the New and the S. Fork for smallies. Despite the very dingy water on Sunday...I managed to find a good number of cooperative smallies...both on soft plastics on the spinning rod and on topwater on the fly rod. Fishing was off and on again during the day on the New and there was only one other boat with fishermen...and the few others kaykers paddled on thru. Best fish were 3 or 4 that ran about 13-14"

On Monday....the morning got off to a slow start on the S. Fork..but then picked up mid-day and early pm. Most fish hit topwater...maybe because the clarity was somewhat improved from yesterday. Not a great day but a good mix of smallmouth and redeyes. Fish averaged smaller today...but still put up a good fight on the 8 wt. A white #4 slider was the best producing topwater fly. Caught a few on soft plastics but fly rod action was pretty consistent so rarely used the spinning rod. . Mid-day was interrupted by about 25 innertubers ... but when I caught up to them I was able to paddle on around and get to some prime water before they got there.

River level is back down to about 2 feet on the S. Fork gauge. Fork and main stem of the New are clearing...and looked pretty good by late this afternoon. Hopefully the thunderstorms will be modest if any this week and the water will continue to clear.

Will post a few pics in a day or so on the Facebook page for Carolina Mountain Sports.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts