NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Freeman creek ramp has been dredged out in the past few years since I have been gone, or if they ever fixed the launch by the onslow beach bridge, which destroyed my last boats original trailer? I will be heading back shortly, and really hate having to drop in at mile hammock or Stones bay, when there are two perfectly good launch locations that just seemingly need a little TLC to become functional again. It was a shame to see Freeman creek ramp so shallow most the time, as it is a decent launch point, but unless you timed it right, you could encounter problems, especially if you didn't have a kayak or a flat bottom skiff.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Freeman Creek is still pretty dicey getting in and out at lower tides. No problem with my flats skiff, but probably no go for a deep V hull unless you're at high tide. Status of the ramp by the swing bridge is uncertain. Major construction project going on there now to replace the swing bridge with a high rise going out to Onslow Beach. The road going in there has been closed for a good while now, though some people sneak in to fish the pier on weekends when no work is going on. I'll ask around and see what the long term plan is. Pretty crummy ramp for anything but a small boat anyways, and the tides there can be horrible.

Camp Lejeune has some new policies I don't care for, and it's apparent to me that the mid level bureaucrats who came up with them don't care a wizz about boating or fishing. They now have a $15.00 annual fee for launching boats on the base for all ramps except Gottschalk and Courthouse Bay. All other ramps require the pass, and the fine for not having one is pretty steep. I'm a retiree and I resent the policy even though the fee is pretty low. Charging active duty guys for that is just pure BS in my opinion, especially when you learn that none of the money taken in by those fees goes toward maintenance or improvement of those ramps and docks. That's done with an entirely different funding stream. I'm not sure what the status of Courthouse Bay is currently, but it was closed for most of the summer while they were doing repairs there. Mile Hammock is usually available, but I got turned away a couple times last summer while they were doing some off road vehicle training there. Go figure, they've got the whole base to choose from, but that unit decided that the one available boat ramp that's close to the ICW and inlet is the place to do ORV training. The dirt ramp at French Creek is now permanently closed, and the little ramp on the south side of the new bridge across Northeast Creek is only suitable for very small boats and kayaks (and last time I was there the road down to the water and the parking area were all tore up and deeply rutted.). I don't mean to be overly negative. Fishing is still decent (though it has declined measurably over the past 15 years), and it's a good place to live. I do wish the Base was more supportive of outdoor activities like fishing and boating though. To me that's the greatest appeal of this area. Welcome back and good fishing to you in '22.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Update: I went by Courthouse Bay yesterday and the ramp is still closed. No idea when it will open again, but they built a very large and very nice fishing dock to replace the old marina docks. It's great, but unfortunately the surrounding water is so shallow there that I doubt it will be a productive fishing spot. Time will tell. The old marina store has been torn down, and I don't know if they plan to put a new one up. I'll try to find out. It does not appear that there will be any mooring slips at the new facility. The ramp by the swing bridge will be closed until completion of the high rise bridge project connecting the mainland to Onslow Beach. That's scheduled for 2025. Long time from now, but I was told that they will keep that ramp and small dock in place. No idea if any improvements or changes are planned there or for the fishing dock on the opposite side of the ICW.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the info. I do launch from Mile hammock most the time due to its normally empty, with exception of Stones bay Marines running their PFT on that road sometimes. I got one of them nifty Auto stow and deploy, so a ramp that has a dock a decent away isn't an issue from me, and the jet from there to Browns isn't too bad. How strict have they been about fishing in the estuaries in the Browns inlet area? I seen a write up that they have gotten more strict about fishing in the areas in the impact zone since Florence, but I haven't heard from any locals if they are cracking down on the fisherman that aren't disturbing the ocean floor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts