NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I prefer salt, but, fishing... is better than NOT fishing!! I grew up fishing mostly fresh..

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I fish fresh mostly, but still love the salt. Fresh is a bit closer to me, and Love fly fishing for bream, so that is why I mostly fish fresh. I'll be trying my fly rod more in the salt soon. Could be, if I do well, I'll start spliitting my time between fresh and salt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
^What he said.

We spent my entire childhood driving to the coast to surf, pier and boat fish. Even now it just doesn't do it for me. It's a dang good way to spend the day but not what I prefer.
Crummy represents me very well - Fresh all the way.

I don't reject salt when opportunity is presented - but I typically don't go looking for opportunities.

Plus Fishin',
RW

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Another thing I left out earlier is the nostalgia factor. Most of my life I have been primarily a freshwater fisherman, but from when I was young many of my best memories are fishing in the Gulf, mostly either from piers or my great uncles' boats and sometimes in the surf. The sea makes me feel good. So does a bubbling clear mountain stream, but for various reasons the pull of the sea is stronger these days.

·
Registered
860 Posts
They're out there...

copycats...
I was just trying to make a funny. The "life" stickers are everywhere and for every facet of, well, life. Seen Lake Life, Mud Life, Marsh Life, Boat Life, Nurse Life, Cape Life, Assault Life (popular around Jacksonville) and my favorite, Getta Life. Havent seen Brack Life yet.

But to answer the OP's question, due to geographical proximity I'm all about fishing saltwater. I'm sure if I lived inland I'd fish whatever water I could while looking forward to ways of making it to the coast.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hard question. I am torn between salt and trout river fishing.. though i still fish for cats and bass because i live in raleigh, those are the 2 i prefer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dude! You guys are dialed in!!! I was really figuring more freshwater responses for some reason. That said, in my opinion, you can't beat saltwater fishing. As was mentioned above, the fish seem to be bigger (though a 5-pound bass on light line will put most of them to shame) and fight a little more.

Best trip of my life (I should save this for another thread) was a trip the Everglades where we were crazy deep in the park and catching snook and largemouth bass on alternate casts on topwater lures. Truly amazing.

Thanks for the responses. Keep em coming!

·
Registered
696 Posts
gambusia nailed it for me. If I lived close to salt, I would do it a lot more but it is hard to get good at something that is hours away.

A few years ago, I had an opportunity to fish the Glades back country for snook for 5 days. My entire prep for the trip was tying up more Decievers...the same I tie for bass here and didn't even buy a stainless hook. Yep, I fished the glades with my standard bass flies and bass rod. I knew I might never get back so why bother spending hundreds and specializing your gear.

BTW, you ever get a chance to fish the glades back country, DO IT! I say leave the 6 wts at home. That is 8 wt+ territory. Those fish are brutal on gear.

Here are the pics...

http://www.derekspace.net/fishpic18.htm

With freshwater, I can be fishing in minutes so I spend more time there.

Derek

1 - 20 of 48 Posts