NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of doing something stupid tomorrow, so I am curious:

Where is the farthest 'out' you have caught a freshwater fish, particularly in the Neuse basin? By out I mean relative to the Neuse, not distance from a creek headwaters.

I want to change things up and see new waters, but I want to target bass/bream. Some of the creeks look a tad fresher near the backs so I figured I'd gamble on one. If I end up with a a salt fish or two it won't hurt my feelings any, it happens often in New Bern anyhow, but 1 fresh fish would make mission accomplished. Any input appreciated.

BTW, farthest 'out' I have caught one to date would be Upper Broad on the N and Hancock on the S. Tried this once last year and only managed a rock in the back of Beard, nothing in Mill. A coworker suggested Bayboro, but I have never laid eyes on it and he was only supposing.

Bonus points if you mention a landing nearby. :D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I've caught catfish on Seaview pier and flounder in the Tar river in Greenville, how's that for messed up?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Little cats. Look just like a little blue cat not sure what they are. Always small and fins as sharp as needles. I've never kept one to eat.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I went looking at pics on google and I think they were hardheads, definitely not sail cats. Never more than a pound or so in size that I've caught. I didn't think much of it after the 2nd one so never researched it.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Vague old memories warning...

When I was a kid I fished a few times in Mobile Bay at a cousin's place and we would catch 2 kinds of catfish. The sail cats, which we would sometimes keep and eat and another type that we always threw back. I remember catching a lot of the other ones and they were always smallish.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Surf cats, if not gaffs were hardheads. Caught about 1000000 at grand isle once.

Reactions: sundrop

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
spawns been tough on that one looks like.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looking at the pic i would have agreed, but it is actually blood running down the fish from the gills. it took a popper and put up a heck of a fight before being boated. popper was in the mouth, but at some point it must have had the back treble catch in there i guess? i would have gotten a better pic but I didn't want to hurt her any worse or get blood all over my carpet. can't even tell from the angle but the fish would go over 5# easy. my largest neuse fish to date. did not appear to have spawned yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.