NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'd like to say hello, and thanks for such a well put together site. I just stumbled across'ed it last night it seems to be an excellent resource for someone (like me just, getting back into fishing).

I took the family up to Jordan Lake today so the kids could swim and enjoy the great weather. As usual, I took my ultra light with me and figured I spend the afternoon seeing if I could get any bites. I'd not planned on catching anything where we were, because the boats were kicking up lots of waves and the kids were having a blast splashing around. Funny thing is, I looked down the shore line and a man and his son had these large surf rods and reels with dual hook leaders, pyramid weights, and a pail of night crawlers. I watched them for a little while and they were pulling small fish (less than palm size) two at a time (couldn’t tell what kind they were from where I was standing).

Later in the day, I retreated back to our picnic table and grill to cook our dinner and the wife and kids wandered over to talk to the man and his son. She excitedly reported back that they had bagged two 20” catfish and a similar sized bass. Needless to say I was a little bit surprised. The only time I’ve used gear like they had was when I was surf fishing off the coast. Is their technique really good for shore fishing around the local lakes, or did they just have a “lucky” day? I’ve never seen anyone use such heavy gear from the lake shoreline before, but I’m guessing it helped him cast out into some of the deeper water where the fish were.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Hm... Well... The #1 best fishing technique, fresh or salt, is "Put your line in the water." Sounds like he was doing just that. Perhaps that's the only gear he had -- rather than go buy more, he used what he had. Good for him -- we'll sic the tackle monkey on him later.

There are a couple of folks in my neighborhood (Cary) that use those same bottom rigs, baited with hot dogs, for the catfish in the pond at Bond Lake. Offhand, I'd guess that the "exceptionally" large weight was just as you'd speculated, extra range.

I've not spent a lot of time talking to the bank catfishers I've encountered, aside from this fellow at the pond. From what little I've seen, it seems like there's quite a varied assortment of tackle being used.

Welcome aboard!
Lefty

·
Registered
709 Posts
Welcome aboard. Like Lefty said. Use what you have. If it works for someone else it'll work for you. Don't know that I'd go out and buy that rig if I was starting from scratch but then again it can be duel purpose, both fresh and salt. Whatever you use I hope you and the kids catch a bunch on your next outing.
Gery

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'm boatless and I'm always seeking out better shoreline techniques and I certainly agree with the "use what ya got" mentality. Maybe when I get my saltwater gear in order I'll give this method a try myself.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I haven't fished Jordan, but I have caught many catfish over 30lbs, and Striper over 15lbs and all I use for bottom fishing is 8-9ft surf rods and 20-40lb test. Be it salt or freshwater.... large tackle , large bait , large fish... my theory..LOL !!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Up here on Gaston and Kerr, we use surf rods with at least 30# line. One good rig setup I learned from a friend is to slide a 3/4 oz egg weight on the line, then tie a swivel below it. Tie about 18" of line to bottom of swivel and add a #3 hook at the end. The catfish won't feel the weight when he first picks up the bait, because it's resting on the bottom behind the swivel. The swivel keeps him from kinking the line when he starts rolling when he realizes he has been hooked. We use cut shad for bait.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Welcome bfitzhugh! There are definitely some catfish in some of the local bodies of water that require heavy tackle to land. I don't if that is what the gentleman was anticipating or not. Like lefty said he had 50% of it licked by having a line in the water.

Mark

·
Registered
245 Posts
I go night fishing off of the bank for catfish about every other week. I fish a rig alot like you described and for the very reasons you implied. I use a surf rod to try and get the hogs. It lets me get out to deep water, however, I normally bring a medium action rod for crappie or small cats to keep the night interesting.

Glad to hear your getting more interested in fishing again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was out at a lake this past week. And I saw a guy fishing with what looked exactly what you described except he had some shad on for bait. He had a canoe and a cushioned recliner and had like 7 rods pokin out all over his boat, he looked like he had some acupuncture done on his boat. It was very early morning and the fish were in feeding. We were pullin 2-3 pd large mouth out but nothin huge. however as it started to heat up we slowed down a little (although my friend caught I 5lb bass.) and that man started getting bites. in about 30 minutes he pulled in 2 huge bass. one was 8 pd 9 oz. the other was 7 pd something. We talked to him as we both paddled in. I have to admit although I like catching big bass. I don't know if I could sit out there all alone in the middle of a lake for 4+ hrs. I like fishing around trees brush etc, but hey whatever floats your boat.

JOE

·
Registered
116 Posts
Light weight surf gear is great for fresh shore casting. Tandem rigs with natural bait is certainly the way to go. I would not use the pyrimid sinker unless trying to hold bottom in current. A teardrop shaped bank sinker is more suited for lakes because it does not hang up so easily as it comes back to shore on the retrieve. I suggest an 8 or 9 ft spinning rod with 15-or 17 lb mono line. Find a place on the lake map whereyou can cast near a drop off, point, or in a creek bed. A small canepole is handy rigged for catching small live bream. Fish bream on both weighted and unweighted setups. Have another eight or nine foot rod spooled with a small braided line allows you to distance cast and retrieve artificials like roostertails while your waiting for action on the baited rigs. I use similar tactics in the surf. Be sure your drags are set a bit loose and your rods are angled and secure so you don't loose it When Ol whisker face tries to run off with it.
Andy

·
Registered
46 Posts
A lot of people use "salt water" gear for fresh water fishing, because with the larger pole, thanks to physics, you can cast further. Lighter tackle is the preferred for fresh water because you only need to send your line out like 12 feet or so. A good long salt water pole you can cast a mile. As for the bottom rigs.... here in Wilson, this has been popular the past month or so, because the lakes and reservoirs have dropped down so far, that casting a bottom rig is good times. With the water so low, bottom rigs get your bait in front of both middle and bottom feeders. (Yes, our water is getting THAT shallow here!! Rain would be nice!)

It's kind of a funny thing around the "holes" here, some of the folks are showing up with gleaming new "toys" and science project lures, and getting skunked.... meanwhile, some dude with a ratty old beat up pole with a squeaking reel that was more than likely left behind at a beach house... is casting out worms he dug up under the back deck of his house... and cleans up!!!! The fishing gods reward dedication sometimes...

Reactions: sundrop

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'm still not afraid to put a Zebco 33 and some live bait up against a fish ! Use what you have/can afford and choose the species that works best with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.