NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all NCAnglers,
I have a few questions, but I'll start with just one. What is your favorite lure that gets you results while LMBass fishing and what pattern? Just curious. Crankbait, Stickbait, Spinner bait, Worm, Jig, etc. I like the Bomber A for 4-8ft in a Fire-Tiger pattern for a crank. I like a Devilhorse or Rapala for topwater plug in black/silver pattern. These give me the most consistent results. How about you?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I like Rat-L-Trap "golden boy" or "silver shiner". I also like Rapala Shad Raps in many of the various colors/sizes.

Reactions: Slowriser

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
bandit 100, lucky craft d-20,rapala dt-6,spinnerbait -mine-,horny toads,zoom worms..

that about covers a bit of every thing as for colors the one that is working..

zooker

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Man that question wil bring a thousand different answers and it all boils down to what the person has confidence in. If you have faith in a lure you will keep it moving and in the water. If not, you will fidget with the bait, half hearty retrieve it and then change back to your favorites.:cool:

This time of year, single spin spinnerbait --white and charteuse skirt, Rattlin Rogue minnow bait and a black and blue jig with a blue frog.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I knew that I would be getting a bunch of different answers. It is interesting to see who has faith in what type of lures. We are all different, raised different, and fish different. That is part of the sharing and learning you get here. One may not be any better than the other, but apparently they do the job for each person. I like all the above lures, but I wanted to see if there was something, maybe one thing, that kept coming back around. Then, if I don't have it in my arsenal, add it with the blessings of THE MONKEY. Thanks for your input Scott, I like the Rogue too, and I have a large selection of spinners with various blades and colors. I'm not a big jig man in freshwater, too many snags for me. Maybe I just need to learn how to fish them correctly.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Its like trying to list my children in order of most to least favorite - can't do it.

Strand me on an island in the middle of LMB country with just one bait and I'd probably choose a 5" zoom super fluke, pearl white. Can fish it as a topwater dog-walker, midwater jerk bait, vertical drop bait, whacky rig, TR/CR worm, jighead. Or maybe a sz 5 shad rap, foil black back or firetiger. Or maybe a zoom horny toad in watermelon or pumpkin. Or maybe a 5" finesse worm in watermelon or pumpkin. or, or, or, or...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff, I completely understand. I just wanted to see what would happen. I have been away from here during Hunting Season and missed the fact that someone else did this back in Nov or Dec. I used to Bass fish alot, but over the last 3-4 years I have turned my attention to the salty H2O. I love it all. Fly fishing in the mountains, fly fishing freshwater, fly fishing saltwater; Slinging a baitcaster, dropping a jig, and even jumping in to wrestle a fish before it gets away. I have a tackle box for worms, one for crankers, one for jigging, one for Crappie, one for saltwater, and one and a half for flyfishing. The tackle MONKEY loves me and stays in my shed when he's not out prowling around. I just like to fish. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
slowriser--the old addage is "if you;re not getting hung up, you're not fishing":D

I usually don't fish them real slow on these warmer days. Usually I plunk it close to the bank or cover I'm trying to discet and then pull it back it nothing hits.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
i'd be esp. interested in hearing what's working for others *this time of year*, and perhaps a little later as we move into the prespawn, then spawning period.

i've caught 2 LMB over 5lbs the last month, both on plastic worms. one texas-rigged, the other shaky-head. but have caught several good sized fish (1.5 - 4lbs) with a suspending jerk bait (x-rap xr10, i think). retrieve seemed important -- slowely twitched it back with lots of pauses. fish often hit on the pause or immediately after i resumed the retrieve. all near or in structure -- which means i got hung up a lot, esp. with the jerkbait (hangs more easily than a crank). this lure hasn't been a big producer for me year-round, but it working better than anything else i've tried so far during february--except for the plastic worm, e.g, spinner baits, cranks (rapala dt6, dtfss3, dt10), etc.

any others found a good lure for LMB this time of year?

// Joel

Reactions: Jeffonc

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you were to ask me this question when I was a teen growing up in South Florida, my answer would have been a resounding "PLASTICS", any type.....worms, sluggos, dragonflys, crawfish etc. With a Heddon Zara Puppy coming in a very close 2nd. As Scott Hobbs said, "It's all about what lure you have confidence in". As a young lad I had tried throwing spinner baits, crank baits, and a variety of other, but never had ANY luck on them. Now since I have picked you the ole' fish slaying stick again, and am fishing new waters I am having better luck on a variety of lures. Landed my largest NC bass to date on a "Lectric Gold" Rattle Trap, this guy was about 4 1/2 lb (why do I always forget to bring a camera????:confused:).

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Forgot to add the rattletrap. ;)

I catch a lot of fish on the rattletrap this time of year (hot pink, orange, silver blue) depending on the water color, clear-stained or murky). Also a lot of fish on crankbaits in the upper parts of creeks off the rivers. Use to be a die hard bass fisherman, not so anymore only on occasion. Shoulders can't take it like they use to.

tight lines <*)))))>

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
a guy fishing yesterday at weaver creek (jordan lake) caught 10 LMB on a jointed rapala shad-rap -- not sure what color. i tied one on (perch pattern) and caught one, lost another in an hour. caught first one on a fast retrieve as i was cranking the lure back quickly to start another cast. otherwise, i got one on a rapala DTFSS3, another on a rapala x-rap xr10 -- both working lure back slowly with a twitch, pause pattern. biggest was about 2.5lbs, other two perhaps 1.5lbs each.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.