NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a trip to North Dakota to visit family a couple of weeks ago. Carried my kayak intending to fish but much of the time I was there the wind was blowing 20 - 30 mph from the west with 40 and 50 mile gusts so I stayed off the water. One of the last days of my trip, the cold front finally arrived and though it was a blue bird sky and 48 degrees, I hit the water. This particular lake has bream, yellow perch, crappie, SMB, LMB, walleye and northern pike, so I expected to catch something. Wish I could show some fish pictures but I only had 3 hits in 6 hours on the water and none were even partially hooked. I did manage to disturb a small flock of Freshwater Pelicans and capture their flight on film. [video=youtube_share;NFkqBr-LECQ]http://youtu.be/NFkqBr-LECQ[/video]
These birds were at least 4 ft long with 6 or 7 ft wing spans.

As a side note, you know you're in North Dakota when the local bar has Sauerkraut Pizza on the menu

sauerkraut .jpg

·
Registered
441 Posts
Canadian Bacon and sauerkrout....Heck I'd eat it! Sounds pretty good!

Reactions: SnowCamp

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are the smaller of the two types of freshwater pelicans found in the Dakotas. The other has 9 ft wing span. When you see either of them in a pothole, you know there are fish there too...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nice! I hear lots of good things about the Dakotas in regards to scenery and nature. I look forward to checking it out sometime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts