1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Wow, what a concept.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Sure it is red drum and not freshwater drum? Would not think that red drum would reproduce in freshwater. Many lakes in the Tennessee chain have freshwater drum.
They can't reproduce but can and will survive. Texas does some freshwater stockings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Hybrid bass don't reproduce but they maintain populations via stocking. I suppose they could do the same with redfish. Just seems weird to me, but interesting idea regardless.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Really? I'm interested in finding out how they adapt to a freshwater environment and how they change the ecosystem.
Yeah that would be my biggest concern. Seems like for every impact you can anticipate, nature has a way of bringing about ones you can't. But at least if they can't reproduce, there is a finite limit to the problem, I suppose.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Interesting. I just read several articles and they say that the drum don't behave like saltwater puppy drum. Instead they act more like bull drum and spend all of their time in deep, open water chasing schools of shad. They are targeted by trolling crankbaits and spoons.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Interesting. I just read several articles and they say that the drum don't behave like saltwater puppy drum. Instead they act more like bull drum and spend all of their time in deep, open water chasing schools of shad. They are targeted by trolling crankbaits and spoons.
No shortage of shad in Hyco. Can't say I'll mind at all if they do it.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Texas has done this for years but if it is like the Flounder in Sutton then they will taste like crap.....the Flounder in freshwater lake sutton taste like crap because of living in freshwater...

Reactions: RouseD
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.