NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be at Holden beach staying near the bridge that comes onto the beach from the mainland. i have rented a house on the beach near the bridge. I am planning on doing some surf fishing if that makes any sense at all to do the week of July 18 to 25. As I am from Kansas and am as far away from an ocean as you can possible get, what kind of gear should I bring? Rod type, tackle, line strength etc? thanks in advance for any assistance as my only experience is farm pond and lake fishing in the midwest

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have rented a house at Holden Beach for 7-18 to 7-25. I am from Kansas and given that I am as far from the ocean as you can get, what kind of rod and tackle should I bring? My fishing experience consists of farm ponds, creeks and lakes. Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
140 Posts
First off welcome to the NC coast, you’ll have a great time. In as much as you will need quite different tackle, farm pond vs. ocean, I would suggest leaving your stuff home and just going to WallyWorld and getting a cheap outfit for the week. It’ll take a rather long rod that can chunk a couple of oz of lead, you will need some circle hooks and a bait carrier of some kind. I do not typically advise buying their canned outfits but in this case, because of transportation problems it may be the best trick. Let me think this over and I’ll be back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree about buying a rig locally, as well as being easier in terms of transport salt water will most likely put a hurtin on your freshwater gear even if you do wash it off well. For surf fishing I'd use 20-25lb test, 1/0 or 2/0 circle hooks, 2oz of weight (you may have to go up if its rough), and a standard bottom rig. Use fresh shrimp, cut mullet, or squid. Or if you can find sand fleas in the surf, they work great for whiting.

Alternately you could try a carolina rig with the same hook set up, and live finger mullet or any of the other baits above. http://www.daybreakfishing.com/bait/carolina-rigs.html

Bring something to dehook the stingrays and sharks you will likely catch. Also, know the size limits http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/recreational-fishing-size-and-bag-limits.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is probably more important than all of this fishing advice, especially to those in NC. Once you’re settled in and had your fill of greasy seafood find you a couple of Bar-B-Que houses, one that serves Eastern style and another Lexington. After trying both survey your family and give us your unbiased opinion about them. One thing I can say about Kansas is they have some knock out steak houses there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.