NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, i sold my tarpon less than 2 weeks ago thinkin i wouldnt miss it at all since i got a boat that i've been using it quite a bit, when honestly i've missed my yak every day since. Ran into good deal on a hank parker outback mirage today that looks like it hasnt even been used so i pounced on it!!...i'm so excited i know i wont sleep tonight
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber Rim
Watercraft Boat Vehicle Automotive design Sports equipment
Brown Font Tints and shades Darkness Audio equipment

Bad thing is, i gave almost everything i had to do with kayak fishin to the guy who bought my tarpon!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heck yeah!!! you cant beat that, i like those ocean yaks too, very stable.. i'm just HOPING i get a little free time this evening to at least make a quick run down my local river:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fished a Hank Parker Outback for years and then bought my Pro Angler- I'll never go without my Hobie, love being able to pedal instead of Paddle, makes fishing a breeze. Congrats on the find.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have thought hard about getting a Hobie. What holds me back is the weight. Are you guys trailering your Hobies or transporting them on top of your vehicles? If you are car topping can you get them up on top of your vehicle by yourself or is there some type of device to assist you or am I a total wimp? ~JOE~

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The guys that I know that have Hobies are carrying them on utility trailers so the boat is relatively low to the ground, and then taking off or loading one end of the boat at a time; or sliding the boat into the bed of a pickup...maybe also using a hitch extension bar.

An slide out extension bar on a car top rack might work... and allow you to pick up one end of the boat and position it on top....and then pick up the other end....

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have thought hard about getting a Hobie. What holds me back is the weight. Are you guys trailering your Hobies or transporting them on top of your vehicles? If you are car topping can you get them up on top of your vehicle by yourself or is there some type of device to assist you or am I a total wimp? ~JOE~
i just sling it in the back of a truck, wouldnt wanna cartop it after a long day, would have my car all scratched up!!

·
Registered
82 Posts

I load mine unto a inexpensive harbor freight trailer. It rests on 2, 3" Pvc pipes attached to the bed and safely nests the hull without damaging it. Plus now you can use a launch ramp and use one of the many parking spaces that are usually closer to the water. I used to car top my outback by using a 'cheater' bar that extended out one side of the rack which allowed me to only have to lift one half of the yak at a time. I can also stack two Hobies on my trailer as well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I was looking at the Outback but I don't think I want to cartop it. If I were to get a trailer then I might as well just buy a boat and a new vehicle because my Jetta isn't rated for towing. It seems like a trailer would be the way to go. ~JOE~

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your car is fine for towing that lightweight trailer and a yak-no different than having another adult or two in your car. I use a little Scion xD to haul my stuff-not rated either. As far as buying a new vehicle and boat-well thats kind of like buying a bakery because you want a loaf of bread. You'll have way more fun in a yak and catch a lot of fish once you get it down-stealth mode baby!

Reactions: 2840-FISH

·
Registered
660 Posts
I really like that trailer! Was actually looking at getting one myself. They have for $399.00 right now instaed of $499.00
I had a 2002 jetta diesel. Got a hitch and light kit from eTrailer and installed it in a day. Rated for 1100 lbs. Towed a 13 ft sailing dinghy and a kayak trailer with as many as six kayaks on it w/o any problems.
I was looking at the Outback but I don't think I want to cartop it. If I were to get a trailer then I might as well just buy a boat and a new vehicle because my Jetta isn't rated for towing. It seems like a trailer would be the way to go. ~JOE~

·
Registered
462 Posts
Good to know the Jetta can tow something lightweight. The comparison with adding passengers was a good one. I currently fish out of a solo canoe so I am familiar with the whole stealth mode thing. In a perfect world I would have a boat,kayak,and a canoe. But then in that world I would also be married to Christie Brinkley. ~JOE~

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.