NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals, I just moved to Chapel Hill for work back in September. I picked up some light tackle hoping to have some fun with panfish until I can make time for a run to the coast. Are there places close to CH where I can bank fish for crappie, cats, etc? I gave it a shot once at Jordan Lake but it was very cold out and I think all the fish were down deep. Do I have to wait until spring?

Thanks
Rich

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Trick will be finding deeper water with accessibility from land. Bridges are a fair bet. First light/Last light bite might be shallower and more likely to find. Look for structure that will hold heat such as rocks. heavy timber and fish those areas slowly and tightly... With Falls lake, Jordan, Shearon Harris and several parks the water is around I just cant help with specifics... I'm sure some of these guys can!
Welcome to the party!!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Jordan's got three Public Fishing Areas, two of which I'm somewhat familiar with...

Bell's Church PFA is north of US-64 along SR-1008, which is right there by the Wilsonville General Store. As you head north on 1008, you'll pass Crosswinds Campground on your right, Crosswinds Marina on the left, then you'll cross a bridge, and the PFA is immediately on your right. It's got a good-sized T-dock. I don't know how much water is under the dock, especially right now.

South of 64 on 1008 is the Weaver Creek PFA. Continue south past the Ebenezer boat docks, and pass Pea Ridge Rd on your right, then watch for the driveway on the right. There's an abandoned boat ramp there, and it's pretty common to see folks fishing for catfish around that ramp. If you're facing down the ramp, there's a trail off to the left, back toward the main part of the creek... At normal pool, the water can be 12' deep not too awful far from that bank... Again, I'm not sure what the current conditions are like...

Good luck and welcome to the area! I married a relocated Texan -- I'm told, though, that I can't claim to be "Texan-in-law"... I guess the best I can claim is "been there"... :D

Lefty

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Welcome Rich,

I've heard really good things about the OWASA lakes - University and Cane Creek. If you're an OWASA customer you get a decent break on entry/launch fees. I think they do shut down some/all of the recreational areas during the winter - worth a check before you drive out.

I'd look for ponds and smaller bodies of water than can heat faster in the limited sunshine during the winter - neighborhood lakes/ponds, parks, etc... You should be able to find smaller bass and panfish ready to fight all winter long.

I second the Weaver Creek recommendation on Jordan - its closed off from the rest of the lake and limited to paddle/electric boats only. Low fishing pressure and makes its own nearly-closed ecosystem. Has some deep water to 25' at normal pool. We've seen pics of nice shoreline catches from there. Caught a few too, but from kayak not shore.

Folks shore fish the spillways year round too - depending on the flow you might be able to find some good winter fishing below Jordan Dam.

Good luck and let us know what you find when you go!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow thanks for all the replies everyone.

Lefty- Thanks for all the locations, I'll check them out. Good to hear you married a Texan! Have you fished the TX coast yet? The bays are great for wading and kayak fishing.

Skooteri- University Lake is right by my apartment, I went there right after I bought my gear only to find out it was closed Oct-March. I ended up trying the pond at Anderson (the dog park) and got nothing.

tcfisherman- Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad I've found such a great rescource :)

Jeffonc- I'll hit Weaver Creek next and be sure to tell you guys what I find.

Livebait- NC is a great state, I'm glad to be here. I've got a great book on the history of the NC that I'm working through at the moment.

Backlash and Sandbar
- Thanks for the welcome. Sandbar, I'm a saltwater fisherman by trade but I'm giving FW a shot out of convenience. In TX i was 45 min from Galveston so all I could hit the surf every weekend. This time of year the flounder pour out of the bays into the open water and the bull reds are in the surf. Then in the spring and summer we go for specks, reds, and inevitably hook a lot of small blacktip sharks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.