NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was down in the Morehead city area for work Thursday and stayed till this morning. Thursday I hit Oceanna Pier after work (see atlantic beach thread). Friday morning I woke early and went over to the Radio Island pier/launch prepared to go after Grey Trout and then hit the Haystacks. Getting there and seeing the chop and 17 mph winds, I fished from the pier for about an hour. The pin fish were tearing me up and no sign of weakfish so I decided to change locations. I went over to the Ft. Macon Jetty hoping to get out of the wind a bit. had about 4 hrs before high tide and with the moon phase plenty of the jetty was accessible so out I went. Another angler was just getting out there as well and we quickly talked strategy. He picked up 2 short flounder fairly quickly using Watermelon pearl jerk shads close to the rocks. I stuck to my guns and kept one rod out with carolina rigged finger mullet out while I worked a speck rig tipped with shrimp. soon I was hooked up only to find I was wrapped in the other anglers line. No time to get the go pro running as he worked the tangle and I worked the fish. Always a laugh! He got the tangle undone in time to net a 25.5 in drum for me! After that the bite shut done for about an hour or so. He hooked but lost another flounder. I got a small bite, waited, checked my bait and cast right back to the same spot.. not 2 mins.. and wham! another hook up. Landed a 17.5 inch flounder!
Water Sky Beach Fish Landscape

So high tide rolled in, went to occeanna for lunch (good fish tacos) and check out the report. Deciced on going back to the jetty. A school of blues came by but some dolphins kept them off shore. With fading time and light I went by the radio island pier one last time to see if the grey trout had come in while the wind had slowed. No such luck. Pin fish, hog fish, a few small blues, a undersized flounder, and a black sea bass (no possession). really wanted that grand slam.. maybe next time.. Friday? lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.