NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We caught 10+ false albacore and 8 Atlantico Bonito. The "ABs" came home with us.

All fish were caught on various casting jigs, a yozuri suspending minnow and an MR 52.

New River inlet had 3.7 feet of water in it at low tide this morning and there was a boat completely out of the water on a sand bar when we were heading out.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

I cooked two filets tonight using two kinds if lemon pepper seasoning and some of the blackened seasoning I use for drum and trout.

Both were great

My wife preferred the blackened seasoning but I really liked the lemon pepper marinade I bought today.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
We got in 'em real good this weekend too. If you like seared ahi tuna, you can do the same with a bonito loin (the top part is best). Just season then sear each side in a fry pan on med high heat with a little bit of cooking oil for a minute & a half or so then throw in the freezer / fridge to stop the cooking. Cut into 1/2" slices & serve with a Ponzu or Teriaki sauce & some Wasabo. Off the charts good when they're fresh like that. Several good sites will provide detailed instructions if you google "seared bonito."

NRI is a mess. I tried coming in on Sun after launching out of Browns. I waved off because there were 3' breakers all the way across. I heard the dredge was there and that the Army Corps of Engineers survey is accurate / navigable. I still don't trust it. I had to run all the way to Bogue to get in-- Browns got pretty dicey when the winds picked up out of the NE that day. New Topsail may be a better bet than New River for the time being.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
The New River Inlet is tough even at high tide. We went out Tuesday and Wednesday. There is a boat there working on dredging the inlet but nothing is marked. All markers stop well before you get to the inlet. There is one can at the big sand bar that runs off the point to the right going out.

If you can make it out the fishing is great. Close to shore are blues and Spanish. Heading 2 to 4 miles are all the blues, albies and bonito that you can cast at. Look for the birds and go to them, fish are there and chasing bait to the top for gulls to feed on. We saw lots of blitz, hard feeding fish all around the boat, one time sharks were chasing the albies.

Browns Inlet, though not a good choice was better than NRI. We went out of it and back of it several times the past few days. Loads of fish just out the inlet there also.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The New River Inlet is tough even at high tide. We went out Tuesday and Wednesday. There is a boat there working on dredging the inlet but nothing is marked. All markers stop well before you get to the inlet. There is one can at the big sand bar that runs off the point to the right going out.

If you can make it out the fishing is great. Close to shore are blues and Spanish. Heading 2 to 4 miles are all the blues, albies and bonito that you can cast at. Look for the birds and go to them, fish are there and chasing bait to the top for gulls to feed on. We saw lots of blitz, hard feeding fish all around the boat, one time sharks were chasing the albies.

Browns Inlet, though not a good choice was better than NRI. We went out of it and back of it several times the past few days. Loads of fish just out the inlet there also.
Good update. I am hoping the near shore water is calm on Saturday.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.