NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I took my brother in-law out to the ocean and we trolled for Spanish. We caught 6 keepers as it was a slow day but we caught some decent sharks later and that is always entertaining. The Spanish came to Yozuri deep divers.

Sunday morning I went with a friend of mine and we trolled for some kings but didn't have any luck and the ocean was rough enough we came back inshore. We caught two small drum but nothing exciting.
Monday I caught some drum in the morning on a top water plug and man that never gets old.

Monday afternoon I got my bride on a good fish and she was grinning ear to ear. She caught this puppy on cut mullet.

My little buddy is having fun too.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I caught the few we caught out of New River inlet. However, most of the fish hit out of Brown's inlet. A month ago they were everywhere and now they are sparse.
Month ago they were everywhere for sure, Spanish, bonito, false albies and all the blues you could catch. We also worked the short stretch from Browns to Bear Inlets that time frame. Two inlets close had bait balls everywhere.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
That much bait I would have casted Diamond jigs if no results from trolling. If we see balls we stop trolling and grab lite tackle and cast diamond jigs, sting silvers and Dons Jigs. I have seen schools held tight together in big cylinder cone shapes, where Spanish, blues and cobia kept them balled up from top to bottom of the water column.

Times like that trolling won't do much good, have to cast tight into the school or other side and come thru the school.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That much bait I would have casted Diamond jigs if no results from trolling. If we see balls we stop trolling and grab lite tackle and cast diamond jigs, sting silvers and Dons Jigs. I have seen schools held tight together in big cylinder cone shapes, where Spanish, blues and cobia kept them balled up from top to bottom of the water column.

Times like that trolling won't do much good, have to cast tight into the school or other side and come thru the school.
I should have done that. I threw a big bucktail in, around and under them. They didn't appear to be getting busted though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.