NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of a two topic question so I wasn't sure where to put it. I saw last weekend that there was to be a meeting this week to decide if there would be funding for a number of NC water access issues. One of the proposed projects had to do with building a pier at Emerald Isle, at the public access parking beside Pier Point. The other one was the proposed boat ramp project at Radio Island. Does anyone know anything about these projects?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Pretty sure that this falls into the category of public access projects. Last Year, the WRC published a list of projects to assure public access, protect this from development. Visit their website, and you can probably get access to the list. I believe the article was published in one of last year's issues of Wildlife in NC, but can't recall (I read it, just can't remember where!).

One thing they really want to do is to give certain incentives to private pier owners so they can keep the piers open. The WRC has done several articles over the last few years noting the decline of NC Coastal fishing piers. Personally, I think it is terrible to allow such a piece of NC Heritage to go away just because some fool thinks an apartment building next to the water is a great idea (study your coastal geography).

My wife is from Long Beach NY, and you can only imagine the "Beautiful" ocean front where High Rise Brick apartment buildings line the boardwalk, and city residents can't use the beach without paying an annual useage fee!

Kudus to the NC Aquarium Society for grabbing the property and rebuilding Jenette's Pier at Whalebone. This is a darn sight better land use than another condo project.

My thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just a little update...

The Study is called the WASC...Waterfront Access Study Committee. This was conducted by NC Sea Grant, and you can view the entire document at the Sea Grant Site...google NC Sea Grant WASC. The current funding piece is Senate Bill 646, and the action deals with current budget appropriations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.