NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might have seen my blog entry on the front page NC Angler catches a WHOLE fish - NC Angler Fishing Blogs and read about my gaff with the gaff. But I forgot to tell you the part about my wrestling match.

No, not with Randy but rather with his 18 pound bull dolphin. I went to gaff him using the gaff I have had on the boat for 4 years and we had used on the previous 3 fish that day. As I reached into the water the business end of the gaff just fell off and we watched it sink. Having a small boat, I never put a second gaff on board in order to conserve space. Randy and I were determined to get that dolphin into the boat, gaff or no gaff.

Thus the wrestling match that ensued. As you may know, dolphin fish go berserk when something touches their tail or body, so as I grabbed the tail, he exploded in the water. Randy got to fight the fish a little bit more :) So the next time I held the leader tight in one hand and grabbed him by the tail with the other. Again he goes berserk and I couldn't hold onto his slimy, skinny tail. Randy gets to fight the fish a third time. This final time I just decided to reach over with both hands, bear hug the fish and wrestle him into the boat. Mission accomplished!

After a bit of a celebration by Randy and I, the fish played the drum in my fish box for us, we decided it best to borrow a gaff from a nearby friend of mine for any future catches. My wrestle mania was short lived. ;)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good job now ya wanna try that with a cobia? :)
Only dead cobia are allowed in my boat :eek:. I want to keep all my body parts and my boat for a while longer :D. I don't have a fish box big enough for a cobia to "chill out" (I use a fish bag for the bigger fish).

My friend that loaned us the gaff did manage to land a cobia yesterday though.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Only dead cobia are allowed in my boat :eek:. I want to keep all my body parts and my boat for a while longer :D. I don't have a fish box big enough for a cobia to "chill out" (I use a fish bag for the bigger fish).

My friend that loaned us the gaff did manage to land a cobia yesterday though.
How do you kill the cobia before it comes in the boat?

Reactions: NCPIERMAN

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I tie him off to a cleat using a hand gaff attached to a rope (which I forgot to bring yesterday).
So you dont beat him to death like pierman suggested? lol
I always wondered how I would handle a big one. Had the billy club idea but I never seen anyone do this.

Reactions: NCPIERMAN

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you dont beat him to death like pierman suggested? lol
I always wondered how I would handle a big one. Had the billy club idea but I never seen anyone do this.
I have had a fish club on board since I bought the boat 4 years ago, never used it. I bought it to subdue sharks enough to get my tackle back. Since then I decided the sharks can just keep my tackle if its not a fairly easy recovery.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I have had a fish club on board since I bought the boat 4 years ago, never used it. I bought it to subdue sharks enough to get my tackle back. Since then I decided the sharks can just keep my tackle if its not a fairly easy recovery.

I applaud your decision on that subject lol

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
lol you guys are cards i wouldnt use a club either unless it was a very big fish like a 10 ft shark..................id have to beat him off from takin a bite out of my transom of my 12ft john boat lol

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Mike - we had a similar incident a couple weeks ago when the thing jumped off the gaff as I was swinging it to the box. I wasn't wrestling tho. More like a Mexican hat dance except he also tangled me up in the line. Those gaffers can whip the heck out of ya.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.