NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has experience with this unit. This unit is a depth/GPS chart plotter.

I consider myself to be fairly intelligent, but good lord, this unit requires a Masters in Rocket Science with a minor in Nuclear Fision.

This unit came with the boat I purchased recently, I printed off the manual, it was only 122 pages :eek:

I have not found anything good about this unit, fairly old and the only thing Garmin offers for it is a software update, other than that it has been discontinued.

Not sure whether or not I want to continue having headaches learning this device or pony up and buy something new.

If someone is familiar with this unit would love to get your thoughts on it.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Is there any specific thing that is troubling you? This stuff isnt as complicated as alot of people make it out to be. I have never used a Garmin but there cant be alot of difference as GPS and sonar work pretty much the same on every unit.

If a previous boat owner set it up, first thing you might want to do is reset everything to default settings, no telling what changes the previous owner may have made to the unit.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any specific thing that is troubling you? This stuff isnt as complicated as alot of people make it out to be. I have never used a Garmin but there cant be alot of difference as GPS and sonar work pretty much the same on every unit.

If a previous boat owner set it up, first thing you might want to do is reset everything to default settings, no telling what changes the previous owner may have made to the unit.
Several quirky things, the unit does not stay powered on (unable to find why in the phone book manual), one time while on plane it reads depth, the next time it does not. The unit also constantly seeks satellites (even when I just have it on depth finder setting)
Maybe it is just telling me to replace it. There is a firmware revision for the unit, suppose I'll try that first and proceed from there.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Staying powered on could be an electrical issue, be sure all connections are tight and clean, also check your fuse and be sure it is not corroded and is getting good contact with the holder.

Reading depth on plane probably has something to do with where the transducer is loacted. If the transducer is out of the water or has turbulent water passing over it, it will not read, sonar signals wont travel through air. Depending on how fast you run and how you trim your motor it could have an effect.

A unit with GPS will always look for satelites as the unit always GPS tracks position regardless of which screen you are on. If it is constantly searching for satelites your antenna could be bad or mounted in a bad position. It needs to have a clear view of the sky, if it is mounted real close to a console or obstructed by other things it cant get satelite signals... kind of like a cellphone.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Staying powered on could be an electrical issue, be sure all connections are tight and clean, also check your fuse and be sure it is not corroded and is getting good contact with the holder.

Reading depth on plane probably has something to do with where the transducer is loacted. If the transducer is out of the water or has turbulent water passing over it, it will not read, sonar signals wont travel through air. Depending on how fast you run and how you trim your motor it could have an effect.

A unit with GPS will always look for satelites as the unit always GPS tracks position regardless of which screen you are on. If it is constantly searching for satelites your antenna could be bad or mounted in a bad position. It needs to have a clear view of the sky, if it is mounted real close to a console or obstructed by other things it cant get satelite signals... kind of like a cellphone.
Regarding power issue, have checked and verified connection. Fuse is clean, power cable end is clean, zero resistance from point to point.
Regarding depth reading. Again, an intermittent concern. It may work fine one day, the next day it will not read unless you are "creeping" along. No difference in weight in the boat, basically identical day to day
Regarding the GPS. The antenna is mounted on the T-top, clear view, no obstructions. I removed the antenna lead thinking maybe corrosion would be found and it too was clean. To clarify, when it searches it kills the depth finder screen. You can power the unit off, turn her back on and all is peachy

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you for your suggestions, they are appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.