NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys- looking to buy a new gas grill and was hoping for some input. Budget is right around $300. Not a lot I know, but better than nothing.

Any experience with infra-red tech would be greatly appreciated, as I can't tell if I want to go that route or not. Also would love to hear if anyone has tried the insert systems where they have removable grates that you can use veggie trays/pizza stones, etc with. See my second link below for one example. Weber also has a model in that style but is more expensive.

Really only need two/three burners as I have a small family and don't do much grilling for big parties. Also don't really care for the extra side burner, as I only used it once in five years with my old grill...

Here are three I picked out and am interested in. Any first-hand experience would be great. Also, any general tips for selecting a grill would be great. Thanks guys!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_117447-46631-DGP350SNP-D_1z0wekx+2z8vp__?productId=3772513&Ns
http://www.target.com/p/st-k-quattro-4-burner-gas-grill/-/A-14012513
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil-2-Burner-TRU-Infrared-Gas-Grill-Stainless-Steel/19516779

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not sure how you feel about buying used, but you can find some decent Hollands on Craigslist that will cook anything you want and not burn it up. If you do decide to go that route check the bottoms and the drip pan to make sure they are the newer versions that wont rust out.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Notice the grill cooking surface area size and the btu rating. Buy more grill than you need and it will always do the job. Stick with common names and large retailers like lowes and walmart and don't buy anything with a funky designed burner. That way when it gets some wear on it and its time to start replacing burners and heat plates you can find parts that fit off the shelf. I have an old Char Broil that was giver to me as a wedding present by my Aunt in 2000. It is not stainless, it sits uncovered in the weather on my patio and is used 10 months of the year at least 7-8 times a month. I have replaced burners 3 times and the rack once. It has outlasted one marriage and fed the second one for almost 10 years now. It has one side burner that is seldom used. It has 2 racks and I like having the higher rack to lay foods that are almost done or things I want to slow cook or just add some smoke to. Good place for racks of veggies while the meat cooks.
I like the looks, layout and BTU abilities of this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dyna-Glo-3-Burner-Smart-Space-Living-LP-Gas-Grill-DGB390SNP-D/23510824

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input so far. I see Dyna-Glo (as mentioned by sundrop) has a two and a three-burner model for basically the same price. I can't tell the difference.
Their grills get very good reviews but I can't for the life of me find the company website. You'd think googling "dyna-glo" would work but it doesn't. Can't find any info on a parent company either...

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Get a Weber kettle grill and bag of charcoal, doesnt get no better. Several models have a gas starter, turn on the gas burner for about 5 minutes to get the charcoal lit. My dad's old Weber of many years fell apart and he bought a gas grill, he gave it away a few months later and went back to the kettle Weber and never looked back.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
You will probably find that Char broil is making those Dyna Glo grills for Walmart. Most basic grills have basic designs as far as burners etc and "generic" parts fit them.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
yep your right I see that they are. Id still bet they are made in the same factory as some other, most likely Char Broil. These days unless you get into high end products this stuff is pumped out of a few select factories and labeled to whomever pays the bill. You aren't going to find anything special until you get into the all stainless specialty shop manufacturers. Like Wilmington grills http://www.wilmingtongrill.com/ My point is in your price range don't over think it its all cut from the same cloth, just get the most useful in BTU and surface area and nothing that makes it seem more "unique" than it is. I don't know how old you are but many of us can remember how Radio Shack made a fortune simply by making sure the stuff that they sold Realistic brand" had odd fittings, odd plugs etc so that only their products would fit it. Otherwise most of it was nothing special at all.

Reactions: Drum Runner

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Pretty much what he said.
Like lawn mowers.
You can own a dozen MTD's to get you through a lifetime of cutting grass or you can buy one good one that will last a lifetime.
I love the Wilmington Grill. It's not only stainless from top to bottom including the burners, it's heavy. But the price is ugly but worth it to me atleast.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wilmington Grill is the standard in this area that all other grills try to reach. Be prepared to pay but when you consider it will last a lifetime and then some, it is worth it. http://www.wilmingtongrill.com/
Wilmington grills are great, but I think he said he had a $300 budget, not a $2000 to $3000 budget

·
Registered
256 Posts
They aint quite that high but they are about 4 times his budget. For a family size grill, base price is 1100-1200 dollars.
From what I have seen, 1100 to 1200 is their lower end, more in the 1800 to over $3K price range. Great units though!! I believe I will get one for my next unit. Have a stainless Weber now, great unit, but I like the Wilmington ones much better. Really like the Cape Fear Master.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
We went through several cheap grills and finally plunked down the cash for a Weber. After ten years I replaced a few parts and expect it to last another then easily. In the long run buying quality is the much cheaper option.

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
I have a Wilmington grill and would say if you can afford one go for it. I bought mine about 6 years back from a gas company. The list price then was $1300 and I paid $900 out the door with free delivery.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I have a Wilmington grill and would say if you can afford one go for it. I bought mine about 6 years back from a gas company. The list price then was $1300 and I paid $900 out the door with free delivery.
Had mine 6 or 7 years I guess.
Started out with a Holland with one of the original models. Belly rusted out and I failed to get the free replacement before they ended that deal.
Stepped over to the Wilmington.

Wilmington copied Holland, got sued so instead of 2 smoke stacks on top they put a ridge vent which got them around the issue.
I love no flare up cooking. Put some chicken on and go fishing for a bit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.