NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys packing? Can't take everything with us I assume. I have a small backpack with two Plano boxes filled with stuff. I am thinking of upgrading to my alice pack to carry more but me thinks I might be having over kill to start with.

Water is what is killing me/ heaviest item. Thinking of getting a camel pack next. Any thoughts?

What do you guys use to carry your keepers back in?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I assume you are asking about how I carry back fish I am keeping? Only fish I keep are crappie and I take a bucket with me. Yeah its heavy and may start using a line instead.

Reactions: GreyGhost

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Carry the lures you have the most confidence in, lures that may be ideal for what that lake has to offer, and a few just in case lures for certain situations you may come across. You can keep some more stuff in your vehicle that you could always go back and get if needed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If I am inclined to walk around a bank, I often find myself wearing a fly fishing vest full of small boxes with various purposes. Pliers and a line cutter fits the upper pockets of mine, and I can shove a variety of soft plastics in the larger openings. I also clip a lip grip on the net loop in the back. If I feel especially spunky, my vest has a provision to even carry a spare rod. As for carrying your haul out, most grocery stores sell insulated bags to carry frozen foods home, mine was less than 2 bucks, so if it does get damaged, no big deal. I actually do most of this when fishing from the kayak as well, only I keep a larger tackle box at my feet, I came up with the insulated bag idea while looking for a way to bring fish home on the kayak, I was standing in the checkout line and there it was.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume you are asking about how I carry back fish I am keeping? Only fish I keep are crappie and I take a bucket with me. Yeah its heavy and may start using a line instead.
That is correct. I had taken a bucket with me but after a bunch of blank days I decided it wasn't worth the effort or energy after hiking the 3/4 of a mile. Changed my parking spot so it's a lot shorter now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carry the lures you have the most confidence in, lures that may be ideal for what that lake has to offer, and a few just in case lures for certain situations you may come across. You can keep some more stuff in your vehicle that you could always go back and get if needed.
That makes sense. That said I havn't found lures that I am confident in yet. I like the idea of leaving most in the car. I did pick up another plano box to store the need to haves/what I want to try that day.

Thanks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I am inclined to walk around a bank, I often find myself wearing a fly fishing vest full of small boxes with various purposes. Pliers and a line cutter fits the upper pockets of mine, and I can shove a variety of soft plastics in the larger openings. I also clip a lip grip on the net loop in the back. If I feel especially spunky, my vest has a provision to even carry a spare rod. As for carrying your haul out, most grocery stores sell insulated bags to carry frozen foods home, mine was less than 2 bucks, so if it does get damaged, no big deal. I actually do most of this when fishing from the kayak as well, only I keep a larger tackle box at my feet, I came up with the insulated bag idea while looking for a way to bring fish home on the kayak, I was standing in the checkout line and there it was.
The insulated bags sound like a great idea, I will give it a try.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
What sort of fish are ya after? That answer can really help the gear discussion.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After anything that bites. :)

So far bass and/or panfish. I fish with my daughter a bunch so she is setup for panfish. I have one rod setup for bass and sometimes when I bring another rod it is set for panfish. Currently trying to get used to the new rod and just use that one with different bass lures to see what works for me. So far the panfish hook and live minnows got one bass the other day (12/27), otherwise 3 or 4 blank days. Yesterday was a blank but assumed that going out. Just wanted to throw a new lure to test it out. I don't think there was any bites but still trying to understand the bottom where I was fishing. I have heard there are some drop offs.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
One of the things that got me to start fishing soft plastics a lot was doing a lot of bank fishing on foot (not near my vehicle so I needed to take everything with me). In a couple of ziplocs you can carry several shapes, sizes and colors and just one small hard case of hooks and weights will give you a lot of variety. I didn't and don't fish soft plastic exclusively, but it's easier to carry a more complete set (including things I am not planning to try but might wish I had if what I plan isn't working out) than just about any other bait.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stopped by Kroger today after walking Lake Lynn and found some thermal bags that says it can hold 30 lbs hot/cold items. $4.99 for those interested. Now I just need to fill them with fish.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I do a lot of catfishing from the banks of the Neuse. The best thing me and my buddies use are backpack chairs. It has 1 large pocket for large amount of storage that frees up your hands.Another item is a cooler on wheels, this not only serves as a cooler but a seat and then a trash can on the way out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.