NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing the boat this last weekend and found a pretty good sized area of gelcoat missing right at the bottom of the bow. Is about the size of a 50 cent piece. There are a couple of cracks running out from the damaged area a couple of inches too. I think I probably damaged it when I got discombobulated driving onto the trailer in windy conditions. That's my story anyway. ..

I'm debating on repairing it myself or bringing it to someone for repair. I plan to put a keel guard on after the repair too. I've never done gelcoat repair before but used to work in my dad's bodyshop way back when so I have a pretty good understanding of surface prep and repair.

Any recommendations for a high quality gelcoat repair kit? Helpful hints? For "plan B", any recommendations for a good repair guy in the Chapel Hill / Triangle area ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it were mine and I was going to put a keel shield on it I wouldn't use gel coat. I would thicken some epoxy with silica (cabosil).
It's a much better and stronger repair than gel coat would be.

Main reason I say that is gel coat is a mold process. Gel coat after the fact is not what gel coat is coming out of the mold.
With the epoxy, you don't have anything to worry about as far as water intrusion into the fiberglass.

I don't know where you are at but I keep boat building epoxy and fillers on hand all the time for my boat building so there would't be a need to go buy anything.
Silica is snow white by the way.
The epoxy route is probably a good way to go. Thanks for the suggestion and the offer but I am over in Chapel Hill so I'll just get er' done here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.