NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I had been on the beach for over an hour with multiple lines out fishing for sharks when a boat comes up and anchors right off the jetty within casting distance. We asked them to move politely, adding that they had a boat and could fish basically anywhere while we were stuck on the shore. They weren't too friendly and didn't move. My questing is whats general etiquette when in this situation, when you can literally cast from the shore and hit their boat?

I was taught that when fishing you should never EVER do anything that makes another person change the way they were fishing. I was also taught fishing spots are generally first come first serve. And I also was taught that if they don't move, to start casting sinkers at them.

Alright keep it civil yall, I want to come back to this thread and see some constructive responses rather than a closed thread with bickering.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not an exact comparison but I fish a lot of small ponds from a kayak and any open bank spots fill up over the day. If someone has a line out and is waiting for a bite I'll steer clear of their gear and probably avoid them entirely since they probably aren't on fish anyways. If a bank angler is on the fish I'll figure his max casting distance, my max cast distance, and try to leave at least half a cast between the two so there's no chance I'm spooking his fish or tangling lines.

I don't buy the argument that a guy in a boat can fish anywhere since we all know not all water holds fish and not all spots are productive. A boat gives the angler the advantage of checking different spots to find the fish, sorry if that's your little stretch of shoreline. But there is a polite way to go about it. At least you can count on him moving on after a minute if he doesn't get bit.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Shore bound anglers have to go places that they know are productive, but boatmen also know od those same places if they can get a boat there. Should be give and take on both parties there. If I were on a bot and had a place that I wanted to fish where there were shore bound anglers, most likely I would avoid them altogether, but if I decided I would fish there, I would stay as far away a s possible and still have a chance at a catch.
I call this a fence rail problem. Since I do own a boat, and know shore bounders have limited access, it would be a rare thing for me to enter their area. I do have one place that I'll take my boat that has shore bounders, but it is a narrow channel for boats where the shore bounders can cast from one side to the other. In that case, I'll go past them with my trolling motor as easy as I can.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Wait till you fish the pier and a boat comes and cuts everyone's anchor line. Or a jet ski runs through, surfers and paddle boarders in the spread. They got the whole ocean yet they always flock to the pier.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
You were fishing a jetty. Jetties attract fish and therefore attract fisherman. Every jetty I've ever fished had enough room for more than one person to fish there. The correct and proper way to do so IMO is to work together and enjoy the day fishing instead of fighting and arguing.

Notice: any comments about throwing a sinker at someone will be deleted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm kayaking's brother who was there. To put it into prospective they were so close to shore and where we were fishing that I literally hit their boat with with a 1/4 ounce spec rig without trying to. Just needed to illustrate how close they were to shore which was roughly 20 yards.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
When I come across shore bound anglers I go out around them allowing about 1.5-2 cast lengths of space if possible and wont cast into their space, same goes for people who are in an anchored boat casting lines out. The only time I dont follow this is when people are fishing off the dock at the boat ramp, its a boat ramp, not a fishing pier, dont be surprised when a boat comes to use the dock, ramp or blows water power loading.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I generally bank fish and I completely feel your pain. Been fishing the river and had people come within ten yards of shore and cut ALL my catfish lines in spots where the river is 40 yards wide for no other reason then because they are inconsiderate. I don't feel that there is any place for people like that on the water but unfortunately we can't stop them so just have to deal. Piece of advice, try not to get arrested in the process.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Based on what I read here the boater was in the wrong. Fishing in the same area is OK, but no excuse for parking the boat where you are trying to cast. Courtesy on the water is one of the biggest issues facing angling. It isn't any better in the boat with cutting others off spot jumping etc. It is a shame that a small but significant portion of people think they are the most important person in the world.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
the boater probably could have better positioned his boat to still fish the area and not be right on you.. had it been me in the boat and I could not position better I would have NOT come into the spot at all. But that's me. Had I been the shorebound, I might not harass him, and no sinker stuff but I might get kinda noisy and crowded him even more.. If the bite was slow first I would wait it out and see if he moved on..

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
525 Posts
I am pleased at the general civility of the replies and will try to maintain that spirit: It is discourteous, disrespectful, rude, and just plain unsportsmanlike for a fisherman to "crowd" someone already fishing a particular place. Period. It doesn't matter if it boat v bank, bank v bank, or boat v boat. Don't do it. If it happens to you, my advice is to move without confrontation. There's a lot of craziness out there and there's no sense in provoking it.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I am pleased at the general civility of the replies and will try to maintain that spirit: It is discourteous, disrespectful, rude, and just plain unsportsmanlike for a fisherman to "crowd" someone already fishing a particular place. Period. It doesn't matter if it boat v bank, bank v bank, or boat v boat. Don't do it. If it happens to you, my advice is to move without confrontation. There's a lot of craziness out there and there's no sense in provoking it.
That's it in a nutshell Steve.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
IMO, from the info posted, the boater was wrong.

But.... Where do people learn proper behavior? Many of you learned proper fishing and boating etiquitte from your fathers or mentors. Everything I've learned, came from this site and the people I've met on it.

Others may not have had even the luxury of kind strangers to help them. The boater might not have realized that he was doing anything impolite about crowding you.... It's not impossible that he would have responded to a conversation that he's crowding you, you were there first, and would he mind giving you room to fish.... Some people are just clueless.

Of course, some people DO think they own the world, and the rest of us are just extras in their grand movie. If the boater was in that category.... You're not going to move him politely.

In that case.... you're dealing with one of the rectums of the world. Nothing you do will make it better.

FWIW.... I do most of my fishing from the bank. I've learned not to expect much/any courtesy from boating anglers. I'm sure that it happens in cases that I don't even notice (ie: boater sees me bank fishing, and doesn't even come close), but I've had lines cut, boaters come right up and cast into the same spot, even under the same dock I'm standing on (private dock, not a public boat launch), and dealt with a LOT of wake, revving engines (I'm done fishing here, I'm going full throttle immediately on my bass boat), etc. You just deal with it, and realize that you can't cure rude.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I generally bank fish and I completely feel your pain. Been fishing the river and had people come within ten yards of shore and cut ALL my catfish lines in spots where the river is 40 yards wide for no other reason then because they are inconsiderate. I don't feel that there is any place for people like that on the water but unfortunately we can't stop them so just have to deal. Piece of advice, try not to get arrested in the process.

While the river may be 40 yards wide in a certain place there may only be a 10 yard wide channel deep enough for a boat to safely navigate? Not saying this was the case, just something to consider. I have personally cut some bank fishers' lines when boating on the neuse, not because I wanted to but due to the fact that those lines were in the only navigable part of the river. A boater should avoid coming too close to bank anglers if possible however the bank anglers should keep in mind (especially on rivers) that a boat may have to cross where they are fishing and either need to reel in or lose some gear.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
While the river may be 40 yards wide in a certain place there may only be a 10 yard wide channel deep enough for a boat to safely navigate? Not saying this was the case, just something to consider. I have personally cut some bank fishers' lines when boating on the neuse, not because I wanted to but due to the fact that those lines were in the only navigable part of the river. A boater should avoid coming too close to bank anglers if possible however the bank anglers should keep in mind (especially on rivers) that a boat may have to cross where they are fishing and either need to reel in or lose some gear.
I can understand situations like you are saying but I am always considerate of boaters. Especially on the neuse, I usually fish barely off the bank to avoid boats. He was hugging the bank. Mistakes happen, I get that and I wouldn't have confronted him or anything about it, but it is just an example of how fisherman need to become better educated on fishing etiquette BEFORE things like this happen. There's a reason I don't fish the conga line on Hatteras. I don't know the local unspoken rules and such well enough to not get in the way of people who do know what they are doing.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Every situation is different, just use common sense and courtesy. Avoid conflicts, because not everyone is as nice as you are, and you may run into an idiot that is ready to go off on somebody..
+1, though I would add that to me it doesn't mean that I never say anything, just that I don't start with a confrontation. Sometimes people really don't know and appreciate being politely informed.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
+1, though I would add that to me it doesn't mean that I never say anything, just that I don't start with a confrontation. Sometimes people really don't know and appreciate being politely informed.
I concur completely. In my younger days, I would growl first and ask questions later, lol. Once we were point fishing at HPCL, and the lake's tour pontoon boat cut in front of us and cut our lines! I followed him to the dock and gave him a very good dressing down...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.