NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live near Fontana, Chatuge, & Hiwassee and I am interested in fishing for stripers but I don't know where/how to start. I love to troll but right now I don't have a downrigger. What are my options? Any tips would be appreciated and I won't do much damage to the fishery as I am a catch 'n release kind of guy.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Most guys without downriggers will pull leacore line with bucktails and/or sassy shad. The line changes color every 10 yards and you let so many colors out to achieve certain depths. Basically troll around at 2.5 mph and adjust your number of colors out the back of the boat until you find the magic combination. Hope this helps.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think that Lake Hartwell would be a good place to start, I think that a pretty close lake to you. There may be closer lakes with striper in them but Im not sure. Alot of people just troll live bait flatlined and with a little bit of lead under planer boards. My favorite way to fish for them in at night with cutbait on the bottom.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey rivermedic . I live near Hiwassee Lake. Nottely is our striper lake. Check out Luhr- Jensen Jet Troll system. Either the 20 or the 30 should be about right to get to the thermocline at Nottely. The strlpers are not going to be much deeper than that now because of low DO levels. Hybrids may still be stocked in Chatuge but I don't think there will be many stripers there. I have been wrong before though. Stripers have not been stocked in Hiwassee for a long time now although a few turn up now and then. I suspect they come down from Nottely but there could also be a limited amount of natural reproduction going on. I don't know about Fontana but I have never heard much about it being known for stripers. Stripers and hyrids are stocked at Nottely in good numbers though. Anyway, it is nice to see someone else on the forum that is familiar with the south west side of the state.

·
Registered
140 Posts
No stripers in Fontana and not aware of any plans to ever stock them. I think they'd do OK since it's big, deep, and fairly cold, but there's no ready source of big baitfish like blueback herring in Fontana so they'd probably wreak ecological havoc on other gamefish populations if they were added to the mix.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
No stripers in Fontana and not aware of any plans to ever stock them. I think they'd do OK since it's big, deep, and fairly cold, but there's no ready source of big baitfish like blueback herring in Fontana so they'd probably wreak ecological havoc on other gamefish populations if they were added to the mix.
Plus, I think I recall that they need a good run in a stream to spawn. I don't know that, just seems I remember something like that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think there are only a few lakes in the country with feeder rivers sufficient for stripers to reproduce - Santee Cooper in SC, Kerr Lake in NC/VA, and Texoma out west. If they got stocked in Fontana it would be strictly put and take like lakes Hartwell, Clarks Hill, Murray, etc.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Stripers reproduce in the Coosa River at Lake Weiss ,Alabama so much that there is no limit placed on the harvest of them there. I think that lakes that have reproducing populations of walleyes are not stocked with stripers in NC. Sufficient forage base is certainly a factor also.Blueback populations are increasing exponentialy in the lakes around here and more stocking of stripers and hybrids may be seen in the future in attempt to control them.For now though,Nottely is our striper lake in this neck of the woods. No stripers have been stocked in Hiwassee Lake in way more years than they could live but I know of someone catching some this past winter there and saw one chase a spot that was on my line a month ago.I am not going to say that it is impossible for a limited amount of natural reproduction to occur in either the Nottely or the Hiwassee Rivers above the lake because I don't know for certain one way or the other.I suppose it is possible that some striper fry stocked in Nottely Lake could survive a trip through the generators or come through the spill gates on the rare occasions that they may have been opened and moved down to Hiwassee Lake . Or perhaps a fisherman did a little moonlight stocking on his own.Who knows? I also wonder if the originator of this thread is still lurking quietly about.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nottely as mentioned, Carters lake isn't that far, and if you really want to test your striper skills, go to Lanier. I absolutely love Lanier, wish it was about 1-2 hours closer to me! Takes about 2hr and some change from Murphy. The lake record was recently caught on Lanier, caught it on a 4 or 6inch lizard! Pretty amazing, can't remember how much it weighed either?

·
Registered
356 Posts
O.k. there you are. i just meant that you had not responded to anything said to you in your thread and wondered if you were still with us here. I wasn't suggesting that you were doing any illegal stocking. I too support NCWRC ; along with Ga.,TN ,Al,and Fl in annual fishing license purchases. Tightlines to you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My home is about10 miles as an eagle flies from Hiwassee Dam. as the lakes are heating up I am focusing more on the smallmouth streams . I am overdue on a trip to Needmore .How is it going over there?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Woops! Sorry I got involved with this thread. Kindly disregard everything I said and feel free to carry on without fear of my butting in again.Ed.
This remark seems out of place - not sure why made it. Did someone send you some PM's or something? We strive to have a nice friendly place for everyone to enjoy. Send me a PM if their is an issue.

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.