NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just found this site the other day, it's great. I was wondering if anybody could give me a few suggestions on getting started inshore fishing such as places to fish, water depth to look for, baits etc. I have 17ft procraft bass boat that is pulling double duty. I mostly fresh water fish but have gotten very interested in inshore fishing for reds, specks, shoot anything that will pull a line. I have fished New Bern on neuse a few times and caught my first red the other day and that really gave me the bug. I went to Oriental the other day for the first time to try my luck. I do not have enough boat to fish there. I put in a smith creek wildlife landing went across river with wind but coming back was terrible, every wave across boat like being in a car wash. My ife was so scared she cried when we hit land. So a couple of suggestions on some places a little more protected would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
I live around Pink Hill so any suggestions for New Bern, Jacksonville, any where that I won't feel like I'm trying to cross the Atlantic ocean in a Bath tub would be great.
Any way a few pointers such as where to put the boat in, direction to head and what to try is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
969 Posts
Welcome to site! Somebody from that area should be able to steer you in the right direction. Post up and share your trips with us.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Where do you fish? If you don't mind my asking? The only places I have fished inshore so far are New Bern put in at Pollocksville and ran up to New Bern a few weeks ago, got into a Big school of stripers and blues by the railroad trestle, my buddy caught a stripe and a blue, I had some short strikes but we could not get them to turn on. Then a couple of weeks ago we went to New Bern and put in at Glenburnie park and ran back up toward Minnosot caught one Red fish(my very first one) in Six or seven hours of fishing and then this past Sunday was when I went to Oriental and got into some bad, bad water so did not catch anything.
I am not familar with the coastal area at all by boat and am just trying to get information on a few areas that I can try.
Any info about boat ramps, creeks, just any info you can share is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
I hear the Trent River at Pollocksville is a good place. I've only fished it from the bank once at the wildlife landing (with no luck) but several folks told me that the downriver area is great. It's a right pretty river from what I could see.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Hi guys just found this site the other day, it's great. I was wondering if anybody could give me a few suggestions on getting started inshore fishing such as places to fish, water depth to look for, baits etc. I have 17ft procraft bass boat that is pulling double duty. I mostly fresh water fish but have gotten very interested in inshore fishing for reds, specks, shoot anything that will pull a line. I have fished New Bern on neuse a few times and caught my first red the other day and that really gave me the bug. I went to Oriental the other day for the first time to try my luck. I do not have enough boat to fish there. I put in a smith creek wildlife landing went across river with wind but coming back was terrible, every wave across boat like being in a car wash. My ife was so scared she cried when we hit land. So a couple of suggestions on some places a little more protected would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
I live around Pink Hill so any suggestions for New Bern, Jacksonville, any where that I won't feel like I'm trying to cross the Atlantic ocean in a Bath tub would be great.
Any way a few pointers such as where to put the boat in, direction to head and what to try is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help
The New river in Jacksonville is usually protected pretty well. You can launch at the uso.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
You might want to check out Stella on the upper part of the White Oak. Head up the river toward the Stella bridge. There is some good speck and striper fishing up there this time of year. There is a couple of campgrounds/trailer parks there that have boat ramps. I think they charge about $5.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
jamesandkim1, New Bern Is Very Good Place To Fish, Fish Around The Big Bridges, And Around The Tressel.going Up River Is Upper Broad Creek, And Goose Creek, Fish In The Mouth Of The Creeks And In The Back Of Upper Broad, Futher Up The River Is Beard Ckeek, All Of The Above Creeks You Will Be Able To Catch Specs, Reds, Rock,and Flat Fish. You Can Put In At Lawson Creek Landing Just Off Hwy 70.to Get To Upper Broad Creek, I Would Go Up Hwy 55 To Lee Landing That Will Put You In The Back Of The Creek. Hope This Helps ..................chris

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate that i saw a few of those creeks on gps but did not know the name of them. thanks for info on boat landings i knew of lawsons but not the other one.
good luck out there
james

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.