NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's interesting to me that it could happen by a guy catching one and bringing it home to his pond and it growing just fine in the Piedmont. Just another reason for the state to stock some in an area lake or two and a couple flows.

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
Or the fish was put into the pond within the last several months and survived due to cooler temperatures. Wouldn't make it through the summer though.........

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Or the fish was put into the pond within the last several months and survived due to cooler temperatures. Wouldn't make it through the summer though.........

There's research posted on this forum not too long ago saying smallies don't need cooler water than largemouths and do fine in very hot water. They tend to seek out deeper water than largemouths when both occupy the same water as the largemouths out compete them for food if they stay in the same depths.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
That's why I asked what the big deal was. They're commonly associated with the mountain regions in the western parts of the state but are actually stocked by folks in their personal ponds far more than most folks know......and do quite well there.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
That's why I asked what the big deal was. They're commonly associated with the mountain regions in the western parts of the state but are actually stocked by folks in their personal ponds far more than most folks know......and do quite well there.

Sent from my kayak...
You guys are sellin' but I ain't buyin'. I know they do fine in some moving warmer water flows...the Broad River in NC/SC is an example, but farm ponds in the Piedmont? They stock trout in there with them?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
The are in gaston and kerr anyway at least. Within an hour of raleigh :D
The lakes might be within an hour but I highly doubt any have been caught on the raleigh side of the lake. I've only ever heard of them far north on the lakes. Even so, Johnston County doesn't have any clear water reservoirs or rivers like Kerr or Gaston. I would be more inclined to believe it if it was in wake county but all of the water in JoCo is black and muddy. The Neuse looks like chocolate milk and the farm ponds are generally shallow and warm. The only moving water that I know of that isn't black is swift creek up towards the county line and even it isn't clear by any means. Even if Smallmouth could survive warmer water, there's no way they could live here. I wonder if they could live in the Cape Fear River a little west of us though?

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
You guys are sellin' but I ain't buyin'. I know they do fine in some moving warmer water flows...the Broad River in NC/SC is an example, but farm ponds in the Piedmont? They stock trout in there with them?
I'm not sure exactly what region you'd classify them in but yes ponds. Trout. Not so much. Even though there are ponds with trout in far warmer areas......what's the next question? Flounder? Red drum? No, I don't think they'd survive.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well, as the caption on the kid's photo states, he caught it "from our well stocked pond." So, they obviously keep it stocked and the pond might be pretty deep with enough cool and deep water to sustain a smallmouth bass.

There's a guy in Sanford who owns a catfish lake and he holds frequent catch-and release money tournaments. Or at least he used to, it's been a while I've only been there 2 times. His pond had huge channels (common in ponds) but it also had flatheads and blues. I'm not sure how well they did in there, all I know is that they were caught from rivers and placed in there.

I've caught smallmouth in piedmont rivers not too far west from Greensboro, but that water is cool, and of course, it is moving. Is there a possibility that the fish in the photo is indeed a largemouth and it looks like a smallmouth from the way it is being held? It does have smallie features but you can almost see a largemouth "lateral line" pattern if you look hard enough.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.