NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any idea about what type of gig you use while wade gigging? For example, when you gig a fish, where would you store that fish? I saw one setup where one person had a gig and the fish slid down the pole after being gigging onto a stringer? Can anyone provide any insight on this? Just don't want to have to haul around a big gig pole with no place to store fish. I will be gigging using one of the lightweight pvc pole type deals with the light on the end. No innertube or battery or anything.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I use a cheap eagle claw 5 prong gig on a wooden handle from Home Depot. I took a piece of string and tied a wood block on one end and a gutter nail on the other side to make a standalone stringer.

I have saw the ones you are talking about but I don't think they are very useful. The 5 prong gives you something to hold on to in mucky spots where you sink pretty fast and the handle is a good size. You may have a better place to go than me though....wish I had access to sandy spots other than mudholes but I work with what I have.

·
Registered
765 Posts
5' 5/16th aluminum rod either threaded to accept a fish broadhead or just cut at say a 60 deg. angle for a point on one end and the other end flattened with a hole drilled through to accept a line. Add a float on the end of the line to keep fish from sliding off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sandbar ..... I believe that pretty well duplicates the gig a bite gig, not sure if it's 5' long but that may work better .... I had the full gig a bite setup .... Works great ..... Just watch that blood trail behind you ....., River

·
Registered
765 Posts
I didn't look at that site River but I'll give it a look. I've been doing good on the rigs you gave me. Believe it was two springs ago? Suppose to meet at the Country Kitchen but it was closed. Anyway, been eating some fine sea mullet caught on your rigs.

After looking at his site, I see he uses stainless for his gig. It does add a degree of sturdiness that al doesn't but a higher price. I did drill out the end on a few of mine to accept a broadhead that I especially like. No chance of losing a stuck fish and you can change it out if it ever dulls. It appears his gig is shorter than his light which he states is around 46". For a gigger 6' or taller I think that is a little short for comfort.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes ... I believe it was stainless, aluminum may flex a little ..... Was that Back Country we were to meet at sandbar.. Glad the rigs are working out .... Catchin lots of Pomp's on em up a Hatteras .... Good to hear from you ..... River

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.