NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
SOMEONE NEEDS TO GET THE WORD TO THOSE FOLKS IN RALIEGH AND THE BIG BUSH WHITE HOUSE THAT GILL NETS ARE TAKING THE FISH AWAY FROM OUR GRAND CHILDREN!!!!!!!! CHRIS...............

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Guys I hate to poop on your party, But #1 That is a recreational fisherman's net.
#2 There is not enough of fish in that net to hurt anything, yes it is wasteful, and against the law.
#3 If you are not catching, you need to do your homework, and learn when where and how. A Black Drum like the ones in the video, usually hit your line like a pinfish. How many times has someone missed a small bite like that? #4 Who said flounder nets don't catch reds?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Naturally we want this discussion to remain CIVIL.

With that in mind, I think most of us agree that wasting fish is harmful and endangers the future of our fisheries. When you multiply the number of fish wasted in that net by the hundreds of times it is done each season, it adds up fast (check the citations given and realize that is only a fraction of the offenses as many go undetected by DMF).

Breadman - no one said any thing about commercial or recreational fisherman on this board - it's the same no matter who the net belongs too, check it often as all fish caught in the net must be in edible condition at all times - that's the LAW for either group.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
You are so right tcfisherman, it's so terribly sad, our state officials are the ones responsible, for not putting an end to this waste.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
The waste shown in that video is against the law. A citation and fine was issued to the owner of that particular net. I think more needs to be done on the education and the enforcement side of things. Nets, like all fishing methods, should be used responsibly.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I agree with you on all TA. I just thought it was kinda funny that the net had pink and yellow buoys on one end, while the guy on the video was trying to slam a commercial fisherman. Outlawed inshore netting, I'm all for it. There should be a season for small mesh nets, like in October for spots in the ICW,but that is about it. The trawlers are doing way more damage than the nets are.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think a more appropriate fine should be 2000.00. If state lawmakers only allow for a 35.00 fine whats to stop these bozos from repeating this over and over. I bet he/they didn't even have their net confiscated.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
if people only had to pay $35 everytime they got caught speeding many would do 80 everywhere they went!! Education + Heavy penalty+enforcement= more responsible netters.....period!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.