NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing the point near mixon creek at kilby island last week when I snagged a submerged gill net with my anchor.

I was paranoid about tampering with someone's gear, so I freed it and left it alone. I looked carefully for any markings that I may have missed but didn't see any yellow floats. Perhaps I'm unaware of how this net should be marked? There are a series of circular old pilings in the area of the net- is this a pound net? If so, i thought they were much smaller mesh to avoid trapping the fish to allow escape.

What should I look for to avoid commercial gear? Could this net have been illegal or just cut loose from its markers?

What should I do if it is still there and unmarked in the future?

I'm not a big fan of gill nets but they are legal if fished correctly so I don't want to report something that is perfectly acceptable. I was fishing on a Friday morning.

Thanks for any information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want to waste anybody's time- there were what appeared to be crab pots in the area, but didn't seem attached to the net, how should it be marked?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks trigger, I'm going to try and take a closer look on Sunday. Assuming it's not marked and still there- should I call it in? If it's been abandoned id sure like to get it out of the water

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I gotchu Bernardo, I just wanted to know what markings I was looking for- was afraid I was mistaking them for crab pots.

I appreciate the response, but I don't want the authorities wasting time on a bogus call if I just didn't know what I was looking for

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Personally I would call it in AND follow up that someone took a look and get the disposition of the net per the authorities.
Can't be legal with no markings.
I wouldn't be at all shy about wasting anyone's time. There may be fish being wasted.
If things are on the up and up great. If not it is your right (and obligation imo) to find out. As taxpayers and fishermen we are often the eyes and ears for agencies that can't be everywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.