NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's an outdoors woman at heart. Loves fishing, hiking, exploring. She has been expressing an interest in taking up archery. Most likely would have fun with some yard targets for now as she's not big into hunting and we've got plenty of room to shoot. Whats a good starter setup? preferably in the $300 range. That might be a lot, I have no idea. I don't want to buy her a piece of junk but it's not pro-level, get my drift? She supports my fishing addiction and always buys me quality gear, so now its my turn. Any Advice? I know nothing. I know there's a shop "Tree Time" right here in Washington. Thanks everyone. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Diamond Infinite Edge by Bowtech is an excellent starter bow, but it's $50-100 above your preferred price. Bear has also released a bow that they are calling the Cruzer, it looks promising. A little more economical is the Bear Apprentice III, it should land right at your price. The Genesis is a nice bow for kids, but it's not nearly as adjustable as the ones I have posted and will need to be upgraded much sooner. You'll also need a target, a release, arrows, and field points. Realistically speaking, these will likely run another $150-200.
I have never been to Terry's, but I have heard good things, probably about 45 minutes to an hour from Bath. Definitely go to a decent archery shop, I met a man recently who had been sold a left handed bow at Bass Pro Shops, they told him it was for right handed shooters.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
It's a lot like fishing gear. There is bargain basement stuff that you're lucky to get much use out of. Next step up (~$100) is basic functional gear. Then you start paying another 25+% in price for each little increase in quality or features. BTW, I find that I can "dial in" almost any bow with good arrows; don't skimp on them.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Forget all the advice about saving money. Take her to a bow shop and get her properly fitted: draw weight, draw length, etc. Get her a compound so she doesn't have to fight the pull of a recurve. Get a sight fitted while she's there. It'll be much more enjoyable shooting for her and by extension, much more enjoyable for you....

·
Registered
76 Posts
archery talk forum, it can get expensive, i have 4 bows , 3 from there used but look brand new. avoid matthews you pay for the name . alot of other superior bows out there. pse , bear, hoyt and the diamond razor edge . look for highly adjustable bows, draw weight and draw length, some will offer rts packages ready to shoot

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I'll agree with the sentiment that you don't want to skimp on a bow if you really think she is going to want to get into shooting quite a bit. I'll +1 the diamond infinite edge, one of the most highly adjustable draw weights you'll find and only about $50 over your price preference.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It's kinda like buying hiking boots. You can order on-line and deal with what you get. Maybe they work maybe they end un killing your feet. OR, you can go to a shoe store and try on different boots to find the pair that's most comfortable to you.
Take her to Terry's or another reputable archery shop. Let her hold and shoot several to find out which bow "fits" her best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.